Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2015/07/01 17:43:08 UTC

Re: Hosting Searchable Release Specific Documentation

Well, in Apache Zest, we generate versioned documentation with the normal
build process, and that is then committed into the SVN site/content in its
own version-named directory. Documentation that is somewhat independent of
a release, such a "community stuff", are outside this.

Neo4j (not Apache) used a similar process and even generated the docs into
Maven artifacts, along with testsuite results.

Cheers
Niclas

--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

Re: Hosting Searchable Release Specific Documentation

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 5:18 PM Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@apache.org> wrote:

> > > On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 8:10 PM, Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org> wro
> specific
> > alternatives
> projects
> (sorry
>

> hi Suresh
>
> For Apache CouchDB, we use sphinx & also readthedocs to generate
> content, from .rst files, included in the source code itself up until
> 2.0, which uses a separate repo as the source code now is built from a
> set of smaller code modules.
>
> Either way, they are processed & bundled into the source tarball at
> release creation time and, directly available from the couchdb instance
> itself when it's installed - a nice feature as the right version of docs
> is always to hand.
>
> sphinx provides searchtools.js which knows how to use the inverted index
> generated during build time. This works pretty well in my experience.
>
> readthedocs.org is awesome and I suspect a number of projects could
> benefit from a similar sort of toolchain. It just adds the new version's
> docs alongside the old ones with a toggle switch in the top corner to
> switch version, every time we push a new release out. I forget the exact
> mechanism, but IIRC its a new signed tag in the main repo.

Thank you Dave, I will follow closely couchdb release procedure document[1]
to find the mechanics. I will appreciate, If you happen to find a quick
reference on how and when the documents are published to readthedocs.org.

Thanks,
Suresh
[1] - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COUCHDB/Release+Procedure

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@apache.org>.