Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by COURTAULT Francois <fr...@thalesgroup.com> on 2021/05/18 14:48:14 UTC

Which activeMQ (not Artemis) version will be JMS 2.0 or 3.0 ?

Hello,

The question to be answered is in the Subject.

Best Regards.

Re: Which activeMQ (not Artemis) version will be JMS 2.0 or 3.0 ?

Posted by Michael André Pearce <mi...@icloud.com.INVALID>.

Just a small note technically we should only be branding a broker a JMS 2.0 compliant if it fully meets the TCK.

I think in general a vote to release ActiveMQ 5 with any mention of JMS 2.0 to get a positive vote it should mean the broker and clients would need to meet and pass the TCK, after all it is what the TCK is there for.

On 22 May 2021 at 0:42, Michael André Pearce <mi...@icloud.com.INVALID> wrote:

I would agree this defiantly should not be done client side, the feature needs to be fully and properly implemented broker side.

I've been reviewing the so called JMS2 client at TomEE, and there are just so many spec issues with the implementation, like some of those mentioned by Chris, theres actually quite a few nasty surprises people will get tbh, its asking for trouble.

As well I hope that any implementation done, is not just for openwire, but works with the AMQP 1.0 connections that many users are now adopting.

Like wise i hope that if there's a commitment to add the feature, that there's a commitment to ensure the openwire clients are updated not just the Java one.....

I know work has gone into properly supporting JMS 2.0 semantics to NMS for AMQP which fully works with Artemis, theres been some bugs found before its released, but the point being people will expect that the open wire is supported, or if not at least the AMQP implementation in the ActiveMQ broker also properly implemented.

I would def not be providing a positive vote in a release vote for the current proposal, of just doing some client hack to make it look like, but not meet JMS 2.0 spec, its asking for issues.

Thanks
Mike

On 19 May 2021 at 16:09, Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 5/19/21 6:17 AM, Christopher Shannon wrote:

Moving back to dev list again...

Yes we had talked about it before in terms of the client side but it wasn't
clear in this thread as your original answer on this thread was "ActiveMQ
5.17.0 will support JMS 2.0." with no caveats or clarification to mention
that it would not be full support. Seeing as how this was on the users list
that would be a bit misleading to users.

Also, I still don't really know what the point of "client side" support is
because you can use the JMS 2.0 jar with ActiveMQ as long as you don't call
the new methods. Looking at that code you linked it seems like the new
methods (like shared subscription creation) just delegate to the old JMS
1.1 methods such as in
https://github.com/apache/tomee/blob/master/container/openejb-core/src/main/java/org/apache/openejb/resource/activemq/jms2/TomEESession.java

That behavior seems odd and confusing to me because if a user is calling
methods to make a shared subscription or shared durable but it wasn't
supported I think it would be much preferable to just throw an error or
something vs delegating back. It seems way worse to allow users to call
those methods with no errors as a user of the library would (no surprise)
be expecting it to provide a shared subscription and it doesn't with no
indidication. If someone is writing an application and their business logic
is asking for a shared subscription but we don't provide it then that is
very different semantics and would most likely break the application so I
think that's a pretty bad idea overall so I really don't see why we would
want to do that.

I'd have to agree here, the client shouldn't do the wrong thing just to
pretend that it did something.  If it can't do it then it should fail so
that people know what the limitations are, and also the limitations
should be clearly and explicitly documented where people can find it.

Other people can chime in but I would be very likely to veto a code change
for client support that simply delegates 2.0 methods to 1.1 methods.

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 12:09 AM Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>
wrote:

By the way, correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s what we discussed last year:
start with the client the side, and then move forward for server side.

What we planned in 5.16.x will be in 5.17.x.

Regards
JB

Le 19 mai 2021 à 06:05, Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net> a écrit :

Hi,

The first step is at least the client support, similar to what have been
done on OpenEJB:

https://github.com/apache/tomee/tree/master/container/openejb-core/src/main/java/org/apache/openejb/resource/activemq/jms2
<
https://github.com/apache/tomee/tree/master/container/openejb-core/src/main/java/org/apache/openejb/resource/activemq/jms2

This allow TomEE to work with ActiveMQ using JMS 2.0.

So, the proposal is to have a two steps work:

1. Support JMS 2.0 client side, it will help in tomee, karaf, etc
2. Step by step implement server side support

IMHO, 1 would be good step forward already and it works fine for a while
in tomee. It will already allow us to update the spec.
Regards
JB

Le 18 mai 2021 à 21:09, Christopher Shannon <
christopher.l.shannon@gmail.com> a écrit :
What exactly are you proposing? Full support would be a tremendous
amount
of work. I started a thread on this already a while back here:

http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/DISCUSS-JMS-2-0-support-in-5-x-going-forward-td4757779.html
My issue here is the lack of clarity. I have no clue what you are
proposing
but it needs to be defined so we don't mislead users by claiming there
is
JMS 2.0 support when there isn't. I listed out possible paths forward in
that other thread.

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 12:04 PM Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>
wrote:

It’s something that we already discussed and I moved forward on the PR.

I propose to move forward on JMS 2.0 support.

If the community agree, and tests are fine, I don’t see any issue to
support it in 5.17.0 as best effort.

Anyway, I will propose the PR, and see when to include it.

Regards
JB

Le 18 mai 2021 à 17:36, Christopher Shannon <
christopher.l.shannon@gmail.com> a écrit :
Since when is JMS 2.0 supposed to be supported by 5.17.0?

None of the features are implemented on the server side for the new
API
calls. This was brought up in a dev discussion that there won't be JMS
2.0
support on the server side in this release.

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 11:29 AM Jean-Baptiste Onofre <
jb@nanthrax.net>
wrote:

He’s not PMC but committer, so he can help anyway ;)

Regards
JB

Le 18 mai 2021 à 17:23, COURTAULT Francois <
francois.courtault@thalesgroup.com> a écrit :
Hello,

I don't think Romain is still the PMC for TomEE.

Best Regards.

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1 to everyone Mike said.

Implementing a hack makes no sense and advertising JMS 2.0 support with
that would not be a good idea. I agree that we should fully support the
spec before advertising as JMS 2.0 if that is the plan.  This would require
all of the client/protocol changes and server side/datastore changes to be
done.

I've been using the JMS 2.0 jar with ActiveMQ 5.x for several years with no
problems. I just exclude the 1.1 jar and use the 2.0 jar and don't call the
new methods...done. So certainly if that makes it easier for things like
Karaf we can distribute the 2.0 jar with the unsupported exceptions thrown.
I don't think anyone has an issue distributing the JMS 2.0 jar as long as
it's clear we don't actually support JMS 2.0

Just to reiterate Mike's point because this is important and there seems to
be a lot of confusion about this on the Jira thread (AMQ-7309) about what
is and isn't required when users request a feature: There is no obligation
to provide anything just because a user requests it. It's up to the PMC to
decide what is and isn't provided and PMC members have full veto power over
code changes with valid justification.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Mike,

So we agreed ;) The first round is to upgrade the dependency and throw OperationNotSupportedException for new methods.

The "JMS support" announcement will stand only when we will implement all methods.

Anyway, that’s a effort worth to do (and I already started), so, let’s just try to move forward.

Regards
JB

jb@nanthrax.net <ma...@nanthrax.net><mailto:jb@nanthrax.net <ma...@nanthrax.net><mailto:

francois.courtault@thalesgroup.com <ma...@thalesgroup.com> <mailto:

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Mike,

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.

--
Tim Bish

Re: Which activeMQ (not Artemis) version will be JMS 2.0 or 3.0 ?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
By the way, just a gently reminder:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-7309 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-7309>

We received several ping about that, the Jira is there (and already targeted to 5.17.0), and it’s clearly not blocker.

So, I don’t see why to block/veto this change.

My $0.01.

Regards
JB

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
The point is also about the dependency. And why not just trying to move forward on JMS 2.0 period (both client and server side).

I’m still working on this anyway, to evaluate the impact/effort.

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.
The veto is for proposing to make new JMS 2.0 methods delegate to 1.1
methods in the client as that behavior is just wrong and makes no sense.

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.
FYI, moving this discussion back to the dev list as it belongs there.

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by COURTAULT Francois <fr...@thalesgroup.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Posted by COURTAULT Francois <fr...@thalesgroup.com>.
Hello Jean-Baptiste,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Posted by COURTAULT Francois <fr...@thalesgroup.com>.
Hello Jean-Baptiste,

Good to know.

So for a delivery end of July or and of August ?
Will you run JMS TCK on it ?
With Jakarta namespace or with javax namespace ?

Best Regards.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi François,