Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by pa...@nhs.net on 2008/06/26 15:02:28 UTC

Tomcat and jar loading

Hi,

I have a brief question regarding the way tomcat loads jar files.

Are the references to all jar files in common\lib and shared\lib loaded on
server startup?

I know classes are loaded once they are requested, but I added a new jar
file that was never there before (so no classes were loaded) and I couldn't
reference the classes. Is this because the classpath that tomcat uses
references every single jar file, and the jvm needs to be stopped in order
for the new jar file to appear on the classpath?

I just bought a tomcat book, so hopefully I can stop asking these silly
questions soon!!

Cheers

This message  may  contain  confidential  and  privileged information.
If you are not  the intended  recipient please  accept our  apologies.
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute  information in this e-mail
or take any  action in reliance on its  contents: to do so is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has
gone  astray  before  deleting it.  Thank  you for  your co-operation.

NHSmail is used daily by over 100,000 staff in the NHS. Over a million
messages  are sent every day by the system.  To find  out why more and
more NHS personnel are  switching to  this NHS  Connecting  for Health
system please visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail

RE: Tomcat and jar loading

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: paul.ockleford@nhs.net [mailto:paul.ockleford@nhs.net]
> Subject: Tomcat and jar loading
>
> Are the references to all jar files in common\lib and
> shared\lib loaded on server startup?

Not sure what you mean by "references" in the above.  Regardless, each classloader creates its classpath from the set of jars that exist *at startup* in its associated directories.  Adding a jar to a lib directory will require a restart of the component - either Tomcat itself or an individual webapp.

You should be able to add (but not replace) individual files in the classes directories on the fly.

I hope the book you bought is appropriate for the version of Tomcat you're using; a lot of them are sadly out of date, so be careful.  Read the real Tomcat docs first.

 - Chuck