Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Eric Everman <ev...@precedadesign.com> on 2004/10/01 16:56:34 UTC

Re: Why does FieldLabel not produce

Yep, I would agree that the form components are lacking.  I just
completed a very small forms application (2 pages) for a customer
needing very quick turn-around time - I found that some of the things I
had taken for-granted ended up consuming all my time.  For instance:

-The only fields that are validated are text fields.
-Out of the box validation only sets a min length & required, not max
length.  Sure this is an input tag property, but that would put
validation in the .html, the .page, possibly the .class, and still in
the db.  Sheesh!
-I don't see an easy way to make a 'vanilla' Select list.  IE.  I just
want to have a list of Countries in a select list.  I want it in the
page because its not really domain data, its just a convenience for the
user and I want a casual HTML person to be able to add to the list.
-The input/validation tags don't support label - this means I need to
nest extra tags all over the place.  My HTML source is much less
readable and I still don't have proper linkage between my label tags
and my input tags.  This one is a real killer for usability as it
encourages Tapestry developers to *not* provide those 'for' links.
-(Misc Gripe while I'm at it)  I end up duplicating tags all over the
place because the tag containing the jwcid is not rendered for many
tags.  It would be nice to have a way to control this so that I I have
a conditional tag it could double as the <tr> or <div> tag I intend to
conditionally create.  Again, my pages end up being much less readable.
  Perhaps this one has been solved and I didn't realize it?

Anyway, I love using Tapestry - but there are still some foibles.
Anyone else have suggestions / ideas / comments on these?

Cheers,
Eric Everman