Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Gustavo Pinheiro <gu...@estatcamp.com.br> on 2004/01/20 15:22:40 UTC

Problem getting things to work...

Hello to everyone,

I've been using the TDK 2.3 for developing my apps and now I had trouble
deploying my app in my production environment. Couldn't get much help from
my ISP's costumer service so far. So here I am...

First of all, I'm not completely sure all the required jars are in place. My
ISP had some jars that were present in the TDK removed, which are:

activation.jar
avalon-framework-4.1.4.jar
hsqldb-1.7.0.jar
jakarta-regexp-1.3.jar
javamail-1.3.1.jar
jdbc-2.0.jar
junit-3.8.1.jar
xercesImpl-2.0.2.jar
servlet.jar
servletapi-2.3.jar
xmlParserAPIs-2.0.2.jar

I believe some of them are already present in Tomcat, but some MAY be
required. Can anyone point the required ones out for me?

In second place, the Tomcat log points out a permission issue (see stack
trace below). It seems to take place in Turbine's init() method. I have no
clue to which resource it is trying access.

Any help is highly apreciated.

Thanks.

TOMCAT LOG Excerpt:

2004-01-20 11:25:58,783 [main] FATAL org.apache.turbine.Turbine - Turbine:
init() failed:
(java.util.PropertyPermission * read,write)
	at
java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java
:270)
	at
java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:401)
	at
java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:542)
	at
java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPropertiesAccess(SecurityManager.java:1259)
	at java.lang.System.getProperties(System.java:500)
	at org.apache.turbine.Turbine.configure(Turbine.java:269)
	at org.apache.turbine.Turbine.init(Turbine.java:230)
	at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:258)
	.
	.
	.

RES: Problem getting things to work...

Posted by Gustavo Pinheiro <gu...@estatcamp.com.br>.
Hi Eric and everyone,

As I said before, I have had some trouble with my ISP. They use a customized
security manager in Tomcat and it does not allow code to read or write
system properties (System.getProperties or setProperty). The solution my ISP
came with was to "seek and destroy" such kind of code. I could only find
such in the main turbine servlet, as can be seen on my previous e-mail
below.
Well, after commenting it out and rebuilding Turbine 2.3 with maven, a new
error showed up. No more PermissionError, now I get a sound
java.lang.NullPointerException!!!!!

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.apache.turbine.Turbine.doGet(Turbine.java:876)
	at
FilterChain.java:247)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.access$000(ApplicationFilter
Chain.java:98)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain$1.run(ApplicationFilterChain
.java:176)
	at
ain.java:172)
	.
	.
	.

Looking at line 876 one would see:

// Return the used RunData to the factory for recycling.
rundataService.putRunData(data);

Any ideas on what could be causing this?
Why would data be null?

Thanks

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.

RE: Issues building Turbine with maven

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
I understand the desire for fewer jars..  Unfortunantly, up through 2.2,
that was the approach, but it meant adding in more and more jars to support
more and more services.  With 2.4, we will be able to have a stripped down
turbine build, and then if you need a specific service, then you add it into
yourself.

Additionally, while the TR.props will continue to remain for the foreseable
future, all the config will move to the ComponentConfiguration.xml, so you
will only have to look there to configure your component data...

ERic

Para: 'Turbine Users List'
Assunto: RE: Issues building Turbine with maven

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.

Posted by Loïc QUERAN <lo...@gicm.fr>.

Posted by Jeff Painter <pa...@kiasoft.com>.
the basePrefix issues have been documented before.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=turbine-user&m=107177483118989&w=2

I would start there and see if you continue to have build troubles

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Gustavo Pinheiro wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I get a load of errors when trying to build Turbine 2.3 using Maven.
>
> First, I noticed that some Turbine classes had their names truncated. For
> instance:
>
> E:\jakarta-turbine-2.3\src\java\org\apache\turbine\services\assemblerbroker\
> AssemblerBrok
>
> I could figure out their names looking at compiling error. I downloaded them
> from 3 different sources and they were all like this. I also used different
> unpacking utilities (winace, gnu gzip and tar). Anyone noticed this?
>
> Second, after fixing the issues mentioned, I kept getting errors. They were
> all in ...services/schedule or ...services/security. I found out looking at
> the sources and at maven.xml that some of the classes that should go in
> those dirs had to be generated at build time by maven-torque-plugin. And
> they were, but in a strange way. BaseJobEntry.java became
> ${basePrefix}JobEntry.java, for instance. So I figure it is something with
> torque-plugin, which must be having trouble setting the var ${basePrefix},
> but I couldn't find the place where ${basePrefix} and such are defined.
>

> HELP, HELP, HELP!!!!

Jeffery Painter

- --
painter@kiasoft.com                     http://kiasoft.com
PGP FP: 9CE8 83A2 33FA 32B1 0AB1  4E62 E4CB E4DA 5913 EFBC

Issues building Turbine with maven

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
Actually, if you look at things, the Log4jFactory is deprecated.  I think
how we are defaulting the commons logging is not the right way.  This has
been an ongoing issue.  You can comment it out (with unknown results on
logging!), but even better would be a patch!

Eric

Para: 'Turbine Users List'

Wow..  That is one of the problems with ISP's..  They may be running Tomcat
under customized security manager..  I'll mark (off the top) the jars you
need..

Need

> avalon-framework-4.1.4.jar
Need

> hsqldb-1.7.0.jar
> jakarta-regexp-1.3.jar
I think need
> javamail-1.3.1.jar
need for email

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
Wow..  That is one of the problems with ISP's..  They may be running Tomcat
under customized security manager..  I'll mark (off the top) the jars you
need..

Need

> avalon-framework-4.1.4.jar
Need