Posted to torque-user@db.apache.org by Robert Enyedi <ro...@intland.com> on 2006/08/03 16:02:34 UTC

Evaluating the Torque Generator

Hi,

We are evaluating the Torque Generator for using it in our product. We
have heard many good words about the Torque project and we would like to
become faithful users and maybe even contributors :-)

Currently we use a MySQL 4 database in the back-end. We would like to
also be able to use the Derby and Oracle database engines. For this the
critical part is to have our current MySQL schema transformed into the
Torque XML DB schema.

Using the torque-jdbc-transform Ant task, I have tried to extract the
Torque XML DB schema from our existing database. While generally
correct, the result had some things missing though:
- the ENGINE=MyISAM option is present for some of our tables. Is there
something equivalent in Torque?
- the FOREIGN KEY REFERENCE ON DELETE SET NULL sequence is completely
discarded,
- the UNIQUE and ON DELETE CASCADE clauses are discarded,
- information on INDEXES is discarded,
- information on AUTO INCREMENT fields is discarded.

Could these be due to the limited database meta-information provided by
JDBC?

 From the generated schema I generated back the MySQL schema and saw
some type mapping inconsistencies:
- INTEGER was generated as MEDIUMINT (I found this to be a but fixed in
the 3.2.1 development branch),
- DATE was generated as DATETIME,
- DATETIME was generated as TIMESTAMP (this is correct, though starting
with MySQL 4),
- BLOB becomes LONG BLOB,
- BINARY NOT NULL becomes only NOT NULL (this is bad when storing case
sensitive strings, like path names),
- MEDIUMTEXT becomes TEXT.

Did someone encounter these issues? Do you have solutions to them?

Manual editing of the XML DB schema is an option, but can all these
constraints be represented in the Torque XML DB schema?

Thanks,
Robert

Re: Evaluating the Torque Generator

Posted by Robert Enyedi <ro...@intland.com>.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I will investigate the ddlutils
project since it seems indeed better suited to our needs at this point.
And thanks to the XML format compatibility this will not stop us using
Torque's other tools in the future.

Thanks,
Robert

RE: V not Found

Posted by Jim Caserta <sm...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for the info guys.. I was not able to find any
problems. I suspect it may be a RAD workspace issue..
So I had him startup a new workspace. So far that is
working fine.

By the way. A while ago we had many issues with
connections not being closed.

One of the suggestions was if the
transaction/connection was commited and the connection
was closed "conn.close()", but the connection was not
yet closed, to execute a rollback.
However, this did not close the connection either.

So for now, in the finally, if the connection is still
open, we attempt to close it again. Not sure what else
we can do. Autocommit is set to the default.. true..

This appears to have been our only lingering issue
with Torque.

Jim

--- Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org> wrote:

> What about the commons-configuration class the
> stacktrace mentions ?
> Anything weird about commons-configuration.jar (e.g.
> not present, supplied
> by another classloader etc)
>
>     Thomas
>
> On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Jim Caserta wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I moved my Torque32.jar (which had the
> > AbstractDataSourceFactory class) to the top of the
> > "Build Path" in Rad6 and looked for old jars in my
> lib
> > folder, but saw none.
> > The results were the same.
> > I'll have to take a closer look on Monday. My
> brain is
> > fried today..
> >
> > If anyone has any suggestions, they are
> appreciated..
> >
> > Jim
> >
> > --- Greg Monroe <Gr...@DukeCE.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Check your class path and libraries.  It looks
> like
> >> you've
> >> got an old version of the Torque runtime library
> in
> >> the
> >> path somewhere.  (The initialize method in
> >> AbtractDataSourceFactory was not in early version
> of
> >> this
> >> library.

org.apache.torque.dsfactory.AbstractDataSourceFactory:

initialize(Lorg/apache/commons/configuration/Configuration;)V

org.apache.torque.dsfactory.SharedPoolDataSourceFactory.initia

org.apache.torque.Torque.initDataSourceFactories(Torque.java:323)

> org.apache.torque.Torque.initialize(Torque.java:237)
> org.apache.torque.Torque.init(Torque.java:406)
> >> at

com.chubb.emarine.my.utilities.MyApplication.doTheTorqueInit(M

RE: Writing to the Log File Question

Posted by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net>.
As far as I know, you need to set the property to an absolute path.

  Thomas

Posted by Jim Caserta <sm...@yahoo.com>.
The problem was my log4j engine was not being
configured correctly by my startup sevlet. Also I had
an incorrect properties file setting.
All is working well. Thanks

Posted by Greg Monroe <Gr...@DukeCE.com>.
Haven't reviewed it but a quick google (after my last note, sigh)
found this article that is targeted at WSAD.

http://websphere.sys-con.com/read/43413.htm

> > In my WSAD 5.1 app, I have the log4J.properties file located
> > under JavaSource.. Is that correct?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jim

Duke CE Privacy Statement
Please be advised that this e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential communication or may otherwise be privileged or confidential and are intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient you may not rely on the contents of this email or any attachments, and we ask that you  please not read, copy or retransmit this communication, but reply to the sender and destroy the email, its contents, and all copies thereof immediately.  Any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

RE: Writing to the Log File Question

Posted by Jim Caserta <sm...@yahoo.com>.
Here is my log4k file.. The backslashes is an obvious
difference..

log4j.rootCategory=INFO,file
log4j.category.org.apache.tools.ant.Project=INFO,file,mail

log4j.appender.file=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.file.layout=org.apache.log4j.TTCCLayout
log4j.appender.file.file=
F:/5chubbapps/server1/Ema/logs/torque.log
##log4j.appender.file.file=${applicationRoot}/logs/torque.log
log4j.appender.file.maxBackupIndex=3
log4j.appender.file.maxFileSize=100KB

--- Greg Monroe <Gr...@DukeCE.com> wrote:

> OK, first let me double check something.  You do
> have more lines in the log4j.properties file
> than that one, right?
>
> Here's an example of one I use:
>
> <code>
> # Global log settings
> # everything not specified below reports at this
> level
> # Use debug to generate massive info.
> log4j.rootLogger=info, RollingFile
>
> # Application log settings
> # packages and subpackages of com.foobar.app at this
> level
> log4j.logger.com.foobar.app=debug, RollingFile
> # Torque diagnostics
> log4j.logger.org.apache.torque=info, RollingFile
>
> # Rolling log file settings
> # limits logs to four 2Mb files

log4j.appender.RollingFile=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender

log4j.appender.RollingFile.File=${catalina.home}\\logs\\tomcat.log
> log4j.appender.RollingFile.MaxFileSize=2000KB
> log4j.appender.RollingFile.MaxBackupIndex=3
> </code>
>
> Note: The torque.ini settings don't seem to work
> (did
> they ever?) Ignore them.
>
> Also a lot of the newer torque classes now use the
> commons-logging API/Interface code.  You may need
> to "connect" log4j to it.  You do this with a
> commons-logging.property file like:
>
> <code>
> #
> # commons-logging config
> #

org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Lo
> gFactoryImpl

org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogg

Posted by Greg Monroe <Gr...@DukeCE.com>.

Posted by Jim Caserta <sm...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Greg Monroe <Gr...@DukeCE.com>.

RE: V not Found

Posted by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org>.

RE: V not Found

Posted by Jim Caserta <sm...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

RE: V not Found

Posted by Greg Monroe <Gr...@DukeCE.com>.

V not Found

Posted by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net>.

Posted by Greg Monroe <Gr...@DukeCE.com>.

> Robert Enyedi said on Thursday, August 03, 2006 10:03 AM
>
> We are evaluating the Torque Generator for using it in our
> product. We have heard many good words about the Torque
> project and we would like to become faithful users and maybe
> even contributors :-)

The more the merrier (and better coding...)

> Currently we use a MySQL 4 database in the back-end. We would
> like to also be able to use the Derby and Oracle database
> engines. For this the critical part is to have our current
> MySQL schema transformed into the Torque XML DB schema.

Cross DB support is what got me into Torque as well.  IMHO,
Torque's an excellent choice for this.

> Using the torque-jdbc-transform Ant task, I have tried to
> extract the Torque XML DB schema from our existing database.
> While generally correct, the result had some things missing though:
> - the ENGINE=MyISAM option is present for some of our tables.
> Is there something equivalent in Torque?
> - the FOREIGN KEY REFERENCE ON DELETE SET NULL sequence is
> completely discarded,
> - the UNIQUE and ON DELETE CASCADE clauses are discarded,
> - information on INDEXES is discarded,
> - information on AUTO INCREMENT fields is discarded.
>
> Could these be due to the limited database meta-information
> provided by JDBC?

Partially do to JDBC limitation but I think it's mostly due to
the JDBC task being more of a typing saver than a circular tool
that can take any schema export it and regenerate it.  (But
contributions to improve this are welcome).

>From your list though, you need to remember that Torque is
designed to encourage (but not enforce) cross DB support.
Therefore DB specific items like ENGINE=MyISAM are not fully
supported in the general distribution (but folks have modified
the templates to locally support stuff like this).

>  From the generated schema I generated back the MySQL schema
> and saw some type mapping inconsistencies:
> - INTEGER was generated as MEDIUMINT (I found this to be a
> but fixed in the 3.2.1 development branch),
> - DATE was generated as DATETIME,
> - DATETIME was generated as TIMESTAMP (this is correct,
> though starting with MySQL 4),
> - BLOB becomes LONG BLOB,
> - BINARY NOT NULL becomes only NOT NULL (this is bad when
> storing case sensitive strings, like path names),
> - MEDIUMTEXT becomes TEXT.

You have to keep in mind that in order to maintain cross DB
support, you really need to think of the XML Schema as your
starting point and not just a configuration file.  Once you
get your existing schema mapped into XML, then start adding
tables and changes via the XML, you can be sure that what is
in the XML can have a reasonable matching schema created in
ANY DB Torque supports.

FWIW, for the most part, the mapping between DB specific
types and Torque's XML types are done as much as possible
in accordance with the SQL standards. ( I suspect that
MySQL's LONG BLOB is a closer match to the SQL Standard
definition of BLOB than MySQL's BLOB size.)

On the other hand, you can also just opt not use Torque's
version of what the DB specific schema should be and
use your own.  The XML becomes the mapping for generating
matching objects. On the Java side, if the JDBC driver
can map the SQL type to a Java Object, the Torque OM will
generally support it.  It doesn't care if the underlying
field is MEDIUMTEXT or TEXT/BLOB or LONGBLOB.  FYI - To
turn off sql generation of a specific table, add the
skipSql="false" attribute.