Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Mike Marzo <pr...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/10 17:20:12 UTC

High level consumer with separate zk

Is it possible for the high level consumer to use a different zk cluster
than the cluster that manages broker leader electivity?
The high level consumer adds a lot of value but I don't like the idea that
bad user code could pound the core zk and effectively hurt the kafka
brokers
mike marzo
908 209-4484

Re: High level consumer with separate zk

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
Storing consumer offsets in the broker will add a bit overhead to the
broker, but shouldn't be too bad. Compared with traditional messaging
systems, Kafka delivers messages to consumers in order and therefore only
needs to keep track of a single last consumed offset per consumer client
per topic partition.  Also, Kafka can scale horizontally and the tracked
consumer offsets can be spread over multiple brokers.

Thanks,

Jun

Posted by Mike Marzo <pr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Weeks <jo...@gmail.com>.