Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Sonnek, Ryan" <Ry...@bpc.com> on 2003/05/30 17:04:17 UTC

eclipse subprojects

Ack!
I've just switched my project over to maven and have broken it up into
several subprojects (ejb, common, war, etc).  now, I know this is not a
"maven" problem, but as this is a common layout for a maven project I hope
someone will be able to help.  i've been able to create my subprojects
within eclipse, but I cannot get the files from my project root (ie:
project.xml, maven.xml, etc) to be included.  I've tried creating a new
project for the root module, but eclipse throws an error saying that
"project root and project root/common overlap."  Is there some other way to
get these files included into eclipse?  I need to have these files tracked
by cvs, and eclipse is my main cvs tool.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

Here's my project layout:
+--project root
|--+common module
  |--project.xml
  |--maven.xml
|--+ejb module
  |--project.xml
  |--maven.xml
|--project.xml
|--maven.xml

I hope someone can answer this one!
Ryan

Re: eclipse subprojects

Posted by Colin Sampaleanu <co...@exis.com>.
This is a problem, because while Eclipse can handle nested sources via
exclusion filters, it can't actually handle nested projects where you
need to have the eclipse project metadata somewhere at a root level, and
below that have eclipse project metadata for other projects.

Now what will work is putting the root project metadata somewhere else.
So it can live parallel to the subprojects for example, and then you can
use links to bring in the source it needs...

Re: eclipse subprojects

Posted by Gilles Dodinet <rh...@wanadoo.fr>.
your layout makes me think you need to have one and only one eclipse
project (say root), with several source directories (common/src/java,
ejb/src/java, etc..). maven-new module illustrates that. The drawback of
such an approach is that .classpath isnot easily generated  since
maven-eclipse-plugin doesnt yet take such layout into consideration.
another approch would be to have different eclipse projects (so common
module should not be under root) but then the problem is that you break
the semantical relationships that exist between the various subprojects.

-- gd