Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Gabriel Rossetti <ro...@charter.net> on 2005/11/02 15:40:19 UTC

one repository root vs multiple - security wise?

Hi all,

Which scenario is better, security wise?

One repository : /svnroot
and every project has it's own directory, protected using linux rights
(repository accessed via ssh) to secure each one?

or

a repository for each project, protected using linux rights?

Thank you,
Gabriel

Re: one repository root vs multiple - security wise? (was Merging - why do I need a path ?)

Posted by William Nagel <bi...@stagelogic.com>.
Gabriel,

guidelines.html, "Making a fresh post"

> Hi all,
>
> Which scenario is better, security wise?
>
> One repository : /svnroot
> and every project has it's own directory, protected using linux
> rights (repository accessed via ssh) to secure each one?

There is no way to create project-specific rights using svnserve.  If
you want finer-grained access control, you'll need to use Apache as
your server.   (That's at least true as of 1.2, I haven't followed
the changes that are slated for the soon-to-be-released 1.3 that
closely)

> or
>
> a repository for each project, protected using linux rights?

I find multiple projects to be cleaner, although not necessarily
"more" secure, depending on how you set up repository access.

-Bill