Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nick <ni...@freeuk.com> on 2005/01/06 17:50:07 UTC

[users@httpd] External web not resolving.

Hello there, many thanks to everyone, I changed the default setup and they
worked, I type localhost and get my page!

However, I (obviously) want to go externally. I have my router pointing web
traffic port 80 to my PC on 192.168.1.2, and the firewall on the PC is
closed except for port 80, which is open to accept web traffic.

However, I am getting that wonderful screen regarding could not find website
in IE.

I am sure this is some sort of DNS problem, as my site is hosted here, but I
am using DynDNS to point the IP back to the router, then passing that on to
my web address.

I've tried putting the ip of the router into IExplorer, but this (woryingly)
produces the login for the router.

Any thoughts, or should I just be patient, or am I missing a specific way of
configuring Apache to look at a specific IP address?

As an aside, could someone let me know if it is easier to run multiple
instances of apache, or to use virtual hosts? The sites I want to build
won't be high traffic, so I thought vhosts would be fine.

Many thanks,

Nick

Posted by Nick <ni...@freeuk.com>.
Normally, I would agree entirely, however, remote adminsitration is quite
firmly OFF, which is why I am worried. The router is using NAT to protect
the internal Lan, however that does cause concern.

However, there doesn't seem to be any way to prevent this!

You're putting the outside (external) address of the router into the
browser? You should get the router's login screen only when you type its
internal address in. Otherwise the router is not configured correctly.

Definitely go with vhosts.