Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Lari Hotari <lh...@apache.org> on 2022/01/03 14:39:31 UTC

upcoming change: Apache Pulsar Helm Chart switching from Pulsar 2.7.4 version to 2.8.2; known issue with ZK when TLS is enabled

Hi all,

There's an upcoming change in the Apache Pulsar Helm chart to finally
switch to Pulsar 2.8.x, more specifically to Apache Pulsar version 2.8.2 .
The latest Apache Pulsar Helm Chart release uses the Apache Pulsar 2.7.4
image.

The pull request to switch to Apache Pulsar image version 2.8.2 is current
in review:
https://github.com/apache/pulsar-helm-chart/pull/190

There's a known issue that Zookeeper TLS isn't stable because of
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-3988 (also reported in
apache/pulsar as https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues/11070) .
The fix https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/1770 is planned for
Zookeeper 3.7.1 version.
There's a workaround in the Apache Pulsar Helm chart when TLS isn't enabled
for Zookeeper. That was added by
https://github.com/apache/pulsar-helm-chart/pull/180 .
However, the workaround cannot be applied when TLS is enabled for Zookeeper.

Should we postpone switching to Apache Pulsar 2.8.2 in the Helm chart until
there's a fix for ZOOKEEPER-3988 /
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues/11070 ?

BR,
Lari

Re: upcoming change: Apache Pulsar Helm Chart switching from Pulsar 2.7.4 version to 2.8.2; known issue with ZK when TLS is enabled

Posted by Lari Hotari <lh...@apache.org>.
The ZK TLS seem to continue to hang.

I re-ran the tests once more and the tests are hanging.
https://github.com/apache/pulsar-helm-chart/pull/190#issuecomment-1022207389

> what about upgrading to 2.9.1 and not to 2.8.2 ?
> We are VOTing for 2.9.2 and 2.10 will be shipped soon

I'm expecting that we would first upgrade to 2.8.x and then continue to upgrade to 2.9.2 and further. I'm expecting feedback on https://github.com/apache/pulsar-helm-chart/pull/200 since that could ease things going forward.

BR,

Lari

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
great work Lari !

Posted by Lari Hotari <lh...@apache.org>.
UPDATE:

Posted by Lari Hotari <La...@hotari.net>.
Hi Sijie,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Sijie,

Il Ven 7 Gen 2022, 01:58 Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> The fundamental problem I see is that we don't have a proper helm chart
> release and we don't have good versioning guidance.
>
> Chart should have its own version, which is independent of the Pulsar
> version.
>
> Also, we need to provide a guide to the community - most of the time, you
> don't need to upgrade zookeeper and bookkeeper. Because these two
> components are rarely changed.

I agree with you and I want to add that one of the problems is that we are
using the Pulsar docker images to start Zookeeper and Bookies.
And we are wrapping the entrypoints (I mean the command line to launch the
service) with the Pulsar command.
So the version you use for zookeeper and BookKeeper is tied to the Pulsar
version.
Usually it is hard to explain to users to use Pulsar 2.x for the bookies
and Pulsar 2.y for the brokers.

We should move to using the standard docker images for zookeeper and
BookKeeper.

> That means:
>
> 1. We should have a separate `version` from `appVersion`.
> 2. We should use the Pulsar image version as the `appVersion`.
> 3. It is okay to only update broker and proxy images version and leave
> zookeeper and bookkeeper version unchanged.
>
> That's probably not the final guide. But at least, we can have something to
> get started to formalize the process. This guide will then help us handle
> such situations better.

I would fix the helm chart now and t let people upgrade to Pulsar 2.8/2.9
and then we can provide a better solution.

Otherwise people are forced to use third party helm charts, and I really
don't like this situation

Enrico

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by 陳智弘 <th...@gmail.com>.