Posted to builds@apache.org by Alex Boisvert <bo...@apache.org> on 2010/11/21 03:49:18 UTC

Unable to log into vesta

For several days now I've been unable to log into vesta.  It keeps saying:

*** System restart required ***
Last login: Wed Nov 17 01:03:17 2010 from minotaur.apache.org
Connection to vesta.apache.org closed.

Anybody can give it a little nudge? :)

thanks,
alex

RE: Unable to log into vesta

Posted by "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Note that 'sudo' access for yourself is 'sudo su - hudson' - so you can sudo
to the Hudson user only, this should help though.

If you need a password reset let me know.

Note that all projects are entitled to a Ubuntu VM or FreeBSD jail that most
use
for showcasing/testing their project software. Hudson and its slaves are for
CI testing only and should not be used as a development environment.
(Installing
Gems as the Hudson user and leaving Hudson to the rest should not be as
complicated
as you make it sound.)

If you feel you are using the Hudson slave for more than just installing the
basic
needed dependencies and letting Hudson do the rest for your integrating
testing, then
you are in need of a VM/Jail and need to ask for one. Then throttle back
doing any
dev work on the Hudson slaves.

Gav...

Re: Unable to log into vesta

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.

Re: Unable to log into vesta

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Re: Unable to log into vesta

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.
Buildr is a Ruby-based project and thus requires a testing environment that is tailored to its needs.
Buildr itself is complex. It requires about 20 ruby gems that we need to install manually, and maintain.

We need the hudson user to have access to those gems. By itself, that is a big problem:
we have to make the files part of the hudson group, as well as their parent folders. Right now, our tests fail as a file mysteriously cannot be accessed.

I shared my account with Alex so he could update gem versions and make sure file access was ok.

Ideally, we would install those gems in a folder under a common group to both our users and the hudson user, on vesta. That would make maintenance much simpler.

I have been short on time to report this to infra and I'm not sure this is possible.

Thanks,

Antoine

Re: Unable to log into vesta

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Re: Unable to log into vesta

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.
What if Alex has my permission, and is only working towards maintaining our Buildr test structure (which is really hard to manage right now) ?

As Alex replied, we otherwise would need a group or a fake user to host the tests. We didn't want to bother infra with this.

Antoine

Re: Unable to log into vesta

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.
Sure, then we need to get a better setup to host Buildr build environments
where I can meaningfully help.   I'll discuss with Antoine.

alex

Re: Unable to log into vesta

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

RE: Unable to log into vesta