Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Jörg von Frantzius <jo...@artnology.com> on 2005/12/13 12:54:52 UTC

Tests for execution in managed environments / J2EE containers?

Hi,

does the TCK currently include any tests for managed environments?

Thanks for information,
Jörg

Dipl.-Inf. Jörg von Frantzius  |            artnology GmbH
                               |                Milastr. 4
Tel +49 (0)30 4435 099 26      |              10437 Berlin
Fax +49 (0)30 4435 099 99      |  http://www.artnology.com
_______________________________|__________________________

Re: Tests for execution in managed environments / J2EE containers?

Posted by Michael Bouschen <mb...@spree.de>.
Hi Jörg,

> Hi,
>
> does the TCK currently include any tests for managed environments?

not that I'm aware of.

Regards Michael

> Thanks for information,
> Jörg

Tel.:++49/30/235 520-33		Buelowstr. 66
Fax.:++49/30/2175 2012		D-10783 Berlin

Re: Tests for execution in managed environments / J2EE containers?

Posted by Jörg von Frantzius <jo...@artnology.com>.
One approach might by to start up the app server and have some kind of
startup class run the tests, i.e. a class that is invoked by the app
server upon startup.

It might be possible to startup the app server from within JUnit, but if
not that only means a second launch has to be made next to launching the
JUnit test suite.

Posted by Jörg von Frantzius <jo...@artnology.com>.
Karan Malhi schrieb:
> Hi Jorg,
>
> Getting an exception when in auto-commit mode should not be a JBoss specific
> thing.
That's true, but it turned out to be a problem for JPOX only recently
when using JBoss 4.0.3.

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jorg,

Getting an exception when in auto-commit mode should not be a JBoss specific
thing. Below is the description of the commit method from

--
Karan Malhi

Re: Tests for execution in managed environments / J2EE containers?

Posted by Jörg von Frantzius <jo...@artnology.com>.

Posted by er...@jpox.org.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Jörg,

I'd welcome your involvement in the Apache JDO project in order to
realize your goal of testing JDO implementations in an app server as
part of the TCK. We can start a wiki page where you can propose the
testing methodology and specific test scenarios in order to engage
the JDO user and vendor community.

I'm not as keen on taking on an unfunded mandate.

Are you willing to put some energy into this project?

Regards,

Craig

On Dec 14, 2005, at 10:33 AM, Jörg von Frantzius wrote:

> [...]
> enlisting works:
>
>    * first create a PM, then begin a UserTransaction, retrieve and
>      modify some data, commit the UserTransaction and verify the data
>      was written to DB (JPOX currently fails here for me)
>    * first begin a UserTransaction, then create a PM, retrieve and
>      modify some data, commit the UserTransaction and verify the data
>      was written to DB
>
> There are some other scenarious involving EJBs to be found in
> 16.1.3 of the PFD spec, just look for "How to test?" comments in
> that chapter ;-)
>
> Maybe it is theoretically possible to have enlisting in JTA
> transactions without using JCA, I don't know. That could be tested
> by deploying a different configuration of the appserver
> (without .rar).
>
> Testing advanced features like XA and 2PC would be really great, if
> not only by providing an example of how to configure the reference
> implementation for that... (does JPOX do XA and 2PC?)
>>
>> That said, I think it's worth a discussion if you have some ideas
>> of the scope and environment of such tests.
> Please see my other mail for an idea of how to include an appserver
> in the tests (how feasible ever it is...)
>>> I'd think that a majority of the JDO users are writing web
>>> applications and need to run their stuff in an application server.
>>
>> True, but the TCK will likely not be normative as to the
>> configuration of the JDO implementation inside the specific
>> container environment.
> It could look for some .rar and accompanying *ds.xml file and
> deploy them if found. If there are none, maybe the implementation
> has found a way to plug into JTA.
>> The TCK is not for end users, but rather for JDO implementations
>> to help them make sure that they are compliant with the
>> specification. I think the major value of the TCK for end users is
>> to make sure that their vendor passes it.
> Right. So at the moment as an end-user you can't really know
> whether that implementation will do what you need it for, i.e. work
> inside an appserver.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jörg.
>
> P.S.
> How come you can send those nice HTML mails, mine were always
> rejected by the mailserver?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Craig

>>> --
>>> Dipl.-Inf. Jörg von Frantzius  |            artnology GmbH
>>>                               |                Milastr. 4
>>> Tel +49 (0)30 4435 099 26      |              10437 Berlin
>>> Fax +49 (0)30 4435 099 99      |  http://www.artnology.com
>>> _______________________________|__________________________
>>>

>> Craig Russell
>> jdo
>> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
>> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

> Dipl.-Inf. Jörg von Frantzius  |            artnology GmbH
>                               |                Milastr. 4
> Tel +49 (0)30 4435 099 26      |              10437 Berlin

Craig Russell

Posted by Jörg von Frantzius <jo...@artnology.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Jörg,

Thanks for your comments.

On Dec 13, 2005, at 5:18 AM, Jörg von Frantzius wrote:

> Alright, does anybody know if there is some rationale behind that?

I'll try to answer this one.

The TCK tests are designed to test the functionality of JDO in J2SE
environments, as this is where the spec is focused. There are no spec
requirements of a JDO implementation with regard to behavior inside a
container (there is no contract that is required on either the
container side or the JDO side).

Most JDO implementations use a non-standard way to configure the web
environment (such as a non-Java Connector Architecture resource)
mainly because the Java Connector Architecture resource requirements
are overkill for most applications.

It's also not clear what the TCK test suite would actually do.

That said, I think it's worth a discussion if you have some ideas of
the scope and environment of such tests.
> I'd think that a majority of the JDO users are writing web
> applications and need to run their stuff in an application server.

True, but the TCK will likely not be normative as to the
configuration of the JDO implementation inside the specific container
environment.

> Doesn't that mean the TCK is of limited use for the majority of JDO
> users?

Yes.

> (Trying to be a little provocative here, the TCK surely still is
> very useful ;)

The TCK is not for end users, but rather for JDO implementations to
help them make sure that they are compliant with the specification. I
think the major value of the TCK for end users is to make sure that
their vendor passes it.

Best regards,

Craig

> erik@jpox.org schrieb:
>> No.
>>
>> Quoting Jörg von Frantzius <jo...@artnology.com>:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> does the TCK currently include any tests for managed environments?
>>>
>>> Thanks for information,
>>> Jörg
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dipl.-Inf. Jörg von Frantzius  |            artnology GmbH
>>>                                |                Milastr. 4
>>> Tel +49 (0)30 4435 099 26      |              10437 Berlin
>>> Fax +49 (0)30 4435 099 99      |  http://www.artnology.com

> Dipl.-Inf. Jörg von Frantzius  |            artnology GmbH
>                               |                Milastr. 4
> Tel +49 (0)30 4435 099 26      |              10437 Berlin
> Fax +49 (0)30 4435 099 99      |  http://www.artnology.com

Craig Russell

Posted by Jörg von Frantzius <jo...@artnology.com>.