Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2011/06/16 04:34:44 UTC

Speaking of JIRA, Where's Ours?

I notice that there is no JIRA Incubator Project for OpenOffice yet.

Something the project lead does?  (Now we get to find out who that is.)

 - Dennis

PS: I thought that might be an issue for the JIRA Incubator Incubator Project, and then I thought, nahhh.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On Jun 15, 2011, at 10:49 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hunh. I had no idea.
>>
>> Usually the chairs name is added as "project lead" in Jira.
>> For now we could add Sam as the champion. Once graduated we can put
>> the newly elected chairs name there
>
> If anything, try to de-emphasize the Chair as anything but the conduit
> between the Board and the Project. Even a little thing in JIRA calling
> them a "Project Lead" can reinforce a "bad meme" that the Chair is
> more than an administrator.
>
> Simply ask for a volunteer who will perform JIRA management.

Note that you can have any number of Administrators for the jira project, who can all share the management responsibilities. It's just very unfortunate that the first admin is also labeled project lead.

I'm not suggesting jira over bugzilla, both are fine issue tracking systems.

-- Leif

Re: Speaking of JIRA, Where's Ours?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
>> Well, JIRA identifies project leads, one per project.  What can I say.
>
> Hunh. I had no idea.

Usually the chairs name is added as "project lead" in Jira.
For now we could add Sam as the champion. Once graduated we can put
the newly elected chairs name there

Christian

--
http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: Speaking of JIRA, Where's Ours?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch>.
Am 16.06.11 05:09, schrieb Greg Stein:
> Below, I was referring to the INFRA-3684 ticket.
>
> I haven't been tracking the list as closely today. I'm not sure where
> the consensus landed on the "which bug tracking system?" question.
> Once that choice is made, then somebody can file a ticket with INFRA
> to set up the ticketing system.
I'm behind bugzilla, because we use it since the beginning. A switch to
the JIRA have to be carfully evaluated, also from technical side.
> Note: if Bugzilla is chosen, then we will want a "new" instance,
> rather than using the shared Bugzilla instance. That will allow us to
> port over the old BZ database.
Yes, we realy use a new instance, shared Bugzilla is not a good idea. We
have over 100'000 Bugs. It's not a good idea to put them all on a shered
Bugzills, I think.

Greetings Raphael

Re: Speaking of JIRA, Where's Ours?

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Some of the choice will certainly revolve around how you intend
to work as a group.  Some projects (eg thrift) do all their dev
work in the issue tracker- the dev mailing list is never really
utilized for discussions, it's just a track record of the activity
in the issue tracker.  Jira lends itself to this sort of organization
with its ability to create project roadmaps and such.

Other projects like httpd don't make a lot of use of the issue
tracker, they are organized around activity in various STATUS
files in their svn tree.  The httpd issue tracker (bugzilla) is
just there for users to submit bug reports.

----

Posted by Reizinger Zoltán <zr...@hdsnet.hu>.
To understand how bug tracker worked in OOo, starting point is OOo QA page:
http://qa.openoffice.org/
How OOo used bug tracking, this flowchart show more than words:
http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/workflowcharts/defect_triaging.pdf

I participated in database QA as volunteer my experience in short:
The bug tracker used mostly by developers, qa and users.
If user submitted support question, they usually forwarded to users
mailing lists/forum, depending on which part of OOo bug was submitted.

The users habit was different, the power users if submitted well
described problems/bugs, usually followed the bug cycle, and when bug
fixed in development version of OOo, tested in their environment.
First time bug submitter users, submitted bug and forget it, if they not
described well the symptoms, not answered even, if we asked some
additional information.
The searching was difficult, if you not know right words, you not get
already submitted bugs, it is caused lot of effort, to clean bug tracker
from duplicate issues.

Zoltan

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
I also feel generally speaking that JIRA, if some templating is applied,
is much better for end users.

On 06/30/2011 10:00 AM, Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Jira is certainly the more popular of the two by a wide
> margin here at the ASF.  Infra uses jira just because we
> had to pick one, and we get decent mileage out of the SOAP
> API via infrabot on irc.

MzK

"He's got that New Orleans thing crawling all over him, that good stuff,
  that 'We Are the Champions', to hell with the rest and
  I'll just start over kind of attitude."
                   -- "1 Dead in the Attic", Chris Rose

Re: Speaking of JIRA, Where's Ours?

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 06/30/2011 09:12 AM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Rob Weir<ap...@robweir.com>  wrote:
>
>> I'd like to reopen this question,since I haven't seen a resolution.
>>
>> I'm hearing some proposing Bugzilla, because of familiarity and ease
>> of migration.
>>
>> I'm also hearing some say that JIRA is superior.
>>
>> I'm not really persuaded by either argument.  I wonder if we could
>> briefly drill down into this a bit more.
>>
>> 1) I read that the  OOo bugzilla has been customized.  Can anyone
>> explain the nature of the customizations?
>>
>> 2) In what sense if JIRA better?  IMHO all defect tracking systems
>> suck.  But I'm open to the possibility that some suck less.
>>
>> 3) On migration, would it be reasonable to attempt a sandboxed trial
>> migration of Bugzilla to JIRA, and let skeptics poke at it for a
>> while, to see if, for example, IDs are preserved, etc.?  Would that be
>> much work?  The easiest way to convince people that JIRA is possible
>> and reasonable might be to actually do it.
>>
>> 4) What are the downsides of Bugzilla?  If it is a supported option at
>> Apache, wouldn't that be the obvious choice?  I think we'd need to
>> make a good case for why an alternative would be better.  What are,
>> say, the top 3 things that JIRA would do better than Bugzilla?
>>

> I can argually say that both suck,

yep! :) to and end user, both are quite obtuse!

  the issue tracker that I have seen
> easiest is the one provided by google code.
>
> The problem with that tracker is that I am not sure is doable for larger
> projects.
>
> The biggest hump of using an issue tracker is locating the right people
> (subcomponent) to get the issue to, or asigning a developer to it. whcih
> most times is not aparent. The previous OOo (Collabnet) supported templates
> which fill out your issue tracker in order to submit the issues faster.
> However I found not many people really used it.

with jira you can set up "default" assignees, and many other things if
you care to. There's a lot you can do to "customize" jira but it does
take a fair amount of work.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:54, Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to reopen this question,since I haven't seen a resolution.
>>>
>>> I'm hearing some proposing Bugzilla, because of familiarity and ease
>>> of migration.
>>>
>>> I'm also hearing some say that JIRA is superior.
>>>
>>> I'm not really persuaded by either argument.  I wonder if we could
>>> briefly drill down into this a bit more.
>>>
>>> 1) I read that the  OOo bugzilla has been customized.  Can anyone
>>> explain the nature of the customizations?
>>>
>>> 2) In what sense if JIRA better?  IMHO all defect tracking systems
>>> suck.  But I'm open to the possibility that some suck less.
>>>
>>> 3) On migration, would it be reasonable to attempt a sandboxed trial
>>> migration of Bugzilla to JIRA, and let skeptics poke at it for a
>>> while, to see if, for example, IDs are preserved, etc.?  Would that be
>>> much work?  The easiest way to convince people that JIRA is possible
>>> and reasonable might be to actually do it.
>>>
>>> 4) What are the downsides of Bugzilla?  If it is a supported option at
>>> Apache, wouldn't that be the obvious choice?  I think we'd need to
>>> make a good case for why an alternative would be better.  What are,
>>> say, the top 3 things that JIRA would do better than Bugzilla?
>>>

>> I can argually say that both suck, the issue tracker that I have seen
>> easiest is the one provided by google code.
>>
>> The problem with that tracker is that I am not sure is doable for larger
>> projects.

The Chromium project uses Google Code's tracker[1]. They're over
88,000 bugs now and going.

>> The biggest hump of using an issue tracker is locating the right people
>> (subcomponent) to get the issue to, or asigning a developer to it. whcih
>> most times is not aparent. The previous OOo (Collabnet) supported templates
>> which fill out your issue tracker in order to submit the issues faster.
>> However I found not many people really used it.
>>

> There are two audiences (at least) for the tracker:
>
> 1) Project members, who know their way around, know the sub components, etc.
>
> 2) Users, or other who submit a defect report rarely. They need an
> easy way to enter a bug report and check its status later.

Totally agree. And that was the basis of my design for the Google Code
tracker. I wanted it real easy for the users to submit a bug, and
possibly attach stuff. They only need a short description, and then
details. Users know *nothing* about subcomponents, assignees,
milestones, whatever. The developers would then triage the new bugs
and apply the correct tags.

Jason Robbins built the tracker using those key principles, and I
think it turned out very well. Of course, I'm biased. But still :-)

If we wanted to use it, then we could fire up a project on
apache-extras.org and use it. We can use its API to import all the old
bugs.

> And what if we didn't assign developers at all?  What if instead we
> had project volunteers claim what issues they want to work on and
> self-assign them?

I'd prefer this approach. It is generally best to view the bugs as
owned by the community. That you don't have "one developer" assigned
to a component. And that anybody can grab a bug and start working.

Cheers,
-g

[1] http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/list

Re: Speaking of JIRA, Where's Ours?

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to reopen this question,since I haven't seen a resolution.
>>
>> I'm hearing some proposing Bugzilla, because of familiarity and ease
>> of migration.
>>
>> I'm also hearing some say that JIRA is superior.
>>
>> I'm not really persuaded by either argument.  I wonder if we could
>> briefly drill down into this a bit more.
>>
>> 1) I read that the  OOo bugzilla has been customized.  Can anyone
>> explain the nature of the customizations?
>>
>> 2) In what sense if JIRA better?  IMHO all defect tracking systems
>> suck.  But I'm open to the possibility that some suck less.
>>
>> 3) On migration, would it be reasonable to attempt a sandboxed trial
>> migration of Bugzilla to JIRA, and let skeptics poke at it for a
>> while, to see if, for example, IDs are preserved, etc.?  Would that be
>> much work?  The easiest way to convince people that JIRA is possible
>> and reasonable might be to actually do it.
>>
>> 4) What are the downsides of Bugzilla?  If it is a supported option at
>> Apache, wouldn't that be the obvious choice?  I think we'd need to
>> make a good case for why an alternative would be better.  What are,
>> say, the top 3 things that JIRA would do better than Bugzilla?
>>

> I can argually say that both suck, the issue tracker that I have seen
> easiest is the one provided by google code.
>
> The problem with that tracker is that I am not sure is doable for larger
> projects.
>
> The biggest hump of using an issue tracker is locating the right people
> (subcomponent) to get the issue to, or asigning a developer to it. whcih
> most times is not aparent. The previous OOo (Collabnet) supported templates
> which fill out your issue tracker in order to submit the issues faster.
> However I found not many people really used it.

There are two audiences (at least) for the tracker:

1) Project members, who know their way around, know the sub components, etc.

2) Users, or other who submit a defect report rarely. They need an
easy way to enter a bug report and check its status later.

I'm assuming:

1) Project members will usually get the assignments right for the
defects they submit, regardless of whether we use JIRA or Bugzilla.

2) Users will almost never get the assignments right, regardless of
what we do to help them.

If that is generally true, then project members will need to monitor
incoming defect reports, via the issues list, and categorize them as
needed.  This is true whether we use JIRA or Bugzilla.

And what if we didn't assign developers at all?  What if instead we
had project volunteers claim what issues they want to work on and
self-assign them?

(Btw, JIRA does have the idea of a component owner that can be
automatically assigned to new issues, if we did want to use that
approach)

-Rob

Posted by "Pedro F. Giffuni" <gi...@tutopia.com>.

--- On Thu, 6/30/11, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org> wrote:

> I can go to JIRA and find the feature list and compare it
> with Bugzilla, and I can see there are some minor advantages,

Please do so :).

> but I agree that the familiarity
> of bugzilla is usually lower the learning curve for most
> people. I mean whats the point of having a better issue
> tracker if the users don't get it right away?

The learning curve here is not at all a big issue here.
The maintenance that may be a problem is done by infra@
and the rest is not difficult. We are already learning
SVN and a new Wiki package so adding JIRA to the new
toolset is not a showstopper. Also, IMHO, this is a good
opportunity to have a fresh start and use the best tools
available for the job.

Pedro.

Re: Speaking of JIRA, Where's Ours?

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español

Re: Speaking of JIRA, Where's Ours?

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net>.
On 16.06.2011 16:45, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> (to moderators: I guess the list software used checks on Sender, not
> on From - so if you need to review this message, please add the sender
> address to a "allowed posters" lists for both dev and notifications
> please)
>
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Marcus Lange<ma...@wtnet.de>  wrote:
>>
>> I would prefer Bugzilla, too. We have already migrated recently to this, so
>> transition would be much easier to bring it into Apache. And because of
>> OOo's project size I would also like to see a new instance.
>
> Not because of project size, but also for the sake of preserving the
> issue-numbers that are spread all over the place, last but not least
> in the code itself.
>
> So whatever you choose, make sure that there is a way to get form
> #i1234# to the actual bug that corresponds to the id.

Yes, keeping issue ids is the most important thing. Which bug tracker we
use would be a second order priority for me.

Regards,
Mathias

Re: Speaking of JIRA, Where's Ours?

Posted by Christian Lohmaier <cl...@openoffice.org>.
Hi *,

(to moderators: I guess the list software used checks on Sender, not
on From - so if you need to review this message, please add the sender
address to a "allowed posters" lists for both dev and notifications
please)

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Marcus Lange <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:

> I would prefer Bugzilla, too. We have already migrated recently to this, so
> transition would be much easier to bring it into Apache. And because of
> OOo's project size I would also like to see a new instance.

Not because of project size, but also for the sake of preserving the
issue-numbers that are spread all over the place, last but not least
in the code itself.

So whatever you choose, make sure that there is a way to get form
#i1234# to the actual bug that corresponds to the id.

ciao
Christian

Re: Speaking of JIRA, Where's Ours?

Posted by Marcus Lange <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Hi all,

I would prefer Bugzilla, too. We have already migrated recently to this,
so transition would be much easier to bring it into Apache. And because
of OOo's project size I would also like to see a new instance.

Marcus

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.