Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Lou H <lo...@protonmail.com.INVALID> on 2019/05/20 20:21:19 UTC

NetBeans Development Setup

I've been looking for guidelines or instructions on how to set up for NB development & debugging (inside NB), but it's difficult to search on "compiling/building netbeans within netbeans" without getting hits on... everything but that.
How would you get started setting up a productive dev environment & workflow? Does it depend on what you're focusing on at the time? (Gradle support, JavaFX support, etc.)

-Lou

Re: Re: NetBeans Development Setup

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
Thought I’d add to this...

Maybe some pointer to basic ide usage prerequisite before digging into advanced ide development tasks

Maybe include some basic git on this (in Netbeans) to show the git part. Maybe touch on forks and clones as well.

After pulling, what happens next (i.e. open project or projects get automatically added, files are indexed in some way, etc.).

Can one build (ant) Netbeans from within NBs? If so how?

I’ve had the missing platform issue as mentioned earlier when adding the compiled platform.

Can’t recall this but clearing out cache and user folders when applicable (and when)

Maybe some additional configuration steps (defaults JDK, etc.) or other similar configuration options of interest to ide development

Maybe how some of the existing testing is performed (unit tests, packages, suites, netcat,etc)?

Maybe ticket basics (i.e. submitting issue, what to include, how to submit etc.)

Maybe some more on dumps and how to produce and read them (i.e. showing x allows to isolate problem code area y,etc.)

If there are fixes involved how to push/submit then?

On any part of these, additional links where applicable.

Eric Bresie
Ebresie@gmail.com

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
And ide-branding is here:

Posted by Lou Hamersly <lo...@protonmail.com.INVALID>.
Yes that confirms what I've gathered so far. Good things to touch on for others getting started. Thanks!

-Lou

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Thanks a lot, very useful.

Posted by Lou Hamersly <lo...@protonmail.com.INVALID>.