Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2013/02/11 11:30:03 UTC

[Tomcat Wiki] Update of "FAQ/Linux_Unix" by KonstantinKolinko

Dear Wiki user,

The "FAQ/Linux_Unix" page has been changed by KonstantinKolinko:
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Linux_Unix?action=diff&rev1=9&rev2=10

Comment:
Add an answer to the question of using pre-packaged versions of Tomcat.

  == Preface ==

  == Questions ==
+  1. [[#Q5|I have Tomcat x.y.z installed as part of my OS. Is it good to use?]]
   1. [[#Q1|When I run ps (on Linux), why do I see my java process a bazillion times!]]
   1. [[#Q2|How do I run without an X server and still get graphics?]]
   1. [[#Q3|Tomcat dies after I log out!]]
   1. [[#Q4|Catalina.log contains : "SEVERE: StandardServer.await: create[8005] : Throwable occurred: java.net.BindException: The socket name is not available on this system."]]
+
  == Answers ==
+ <<Anchor(Q5)>>'''I have Tomcat x.y.z installed as part of my OS. Is it good to use?'''
+
+ Many Linux distributions provide a pre-packaged version of Apache Tomcat.
+
+ These packages work fine and are easy to install for a normal single-instance case,
+ but they make it more difficult for more specific use cases,
+ and more difficult for people on the [[FAQ/Tomcat_User|Tomcat User mailing list]] to help you.
+ That is because each of these packages distributes the files of Tomcat
+ in different places on the disk, sets different environment variables,
+ sets different links from one directory to the other in the filesystem, etc..
+ So it would be better to install a "standard" tomcat downloaded from
+ the website [[http://tomcat.apache.org/]], to some directory like `/opt/tomcat`,
+ and follow the instructions that are given in the "RUNNING.txt" file.
+
+ This way, everyone here knows what you are talking about and has a good idea of where things are.
+
+ Several notes:
+
+  * Download a "binary" version. Either a "tar.gz" or a "zip" file is fine. There is usually no need to re-compile Tomcat from the source code.
+  * The "tar.gz" files use GNU extensions to the tar file format. You need a GNU-compatible version of `tar` to unpack them.
+  * Learn how to run Tomcat with separate values of `CATALINA_HOME` and `CATALINA_BASE`, as explained in "RUNNING.txt". This will simplify further upgrades and maintenance.
+
  <<Anchor(Q1)>>'''When I run ps (on Linux), why do I see my java process a bazillion times!'''

  Linux implemented threads as processes. Due to other gory details that is beyond the scope of this FAQ - the ps command doesn't work correctly with respect to threads. You can get more gory details [[http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2002/11/07/linux_threads.html|here]] and [[http://pauillac.inria.fr/~xleroy/linuxthreads/faq.html#D|here]] .