Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com> on 2008/11/21 22:16:50 UTC

Re: LATEST and RELEASE

>From my experience, using RELEASE as a version identifier works for any
kinds of artifacts given the fact that you should have install or deployed
the artifact using the parameter updateReleaseInfo to true.
Using the LATEST version identifier is available only for Maven plugins, not
for standards artifacts, because the artifact metadata needs to store this
information and this is only possible through the maven plugin plugin.

Regards
Jeff MAURY

--
La mélancolie c'est communiste
Tout le monde y a droit de temps en temps

Miossec (2006)

http://www.jeffmaury.com
http://riadiscuss.jeffmaury.com
http://www.lastfm.fr/listen/user/jeffmaury/personal
Mes CDs à récupérer:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pNeg4Doa_oCsh7CepKPaPTA&hl=en

Re: LATEST and RELEASE

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
I guess this could be related, but we almost never use install. Actually,
for the LATEST use case, we just commit and have a continuous integration
serverthat will just push the resulting artifact to the corporate maven
repository (and it will usually be downloaded some minutes after thanks to
m2e when asking to "update snapshots"/"update dependencies").

For RELEASE, that's almost the same: they are deployed on one machine and
mainly download via the repo by everybody else. Maybe dowloading will
correctly set the metadata contrary to mvn install?

Cheers.

2008/12/3 Timothy Reilly <tr...@prolifics.com>

> Just an observation from today when RELEASE didn't work for us.
>
> I was at someone's desk who normally build's the parent pom we are
> trying to reference as RELEASE. His last build of the pom or perhaps
> every build to his local repository is done without mvn install
> -DupdateReleaseInfo=true (so false.) The dependent project failed to
> build due to not resolving the RELEASE version. He rebuilt the parent
> (corporate pom) with -DupdateReleaseInfo=true and then it worked.
>
> My guess is that when RELEASE version is being resolved it finds the
> artifact in the local repository but doesn't find the release metadata
> and fails.
> Perhaps, while resolving RELEASE all configured repositories need or
> should be consulted... Seems like that doesn't happen. (first find fail)

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

RE: LATEST and RELEASE

Re: LATEST and RELEASE

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.
Please find a zip of a sample project that demonstrate that LATEST is not
usable.
My project is composed of 4 poms:
testlatestrelease-parent: parent and aggregator project whose goal is to
build sub-projects
testlatestrelease-child-release: JAR release project reference through the
RELEASE version id by the testlatestrelease-child-main project
testlatestrelease-child-snapshot: JAR release project reference through the
LATEST version id by the testlatestrelease-child-main project
testlatestrelease-child-main: JAR project referencing the 2 previous
artifacts

If you build the parent project (with install -DupdateReleaseInfo=true
goal), you will see that it will fail when building the
testlatestrelease-child-main sub-project because Maven will not be able to
resolve the LATEST artifact (testlatestrelease-child-snapshot).

Regards
Jeff MAURY

Re: LATEST and RELEASE

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.
Baptiste,

Re: LATEST and RELEASE

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.

Re: LATEST and RELEASE

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.

Re: LATEST and RELEASE

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.

Re: LATEST and RELEASE

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.

Re: LATEST and RELEASE

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.

Re: LATEST and RELEASE

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.
If you intent to use it for you corporate parent pom, I think this should
work assumed you deploy or install it using the updateReleaseInfo to true
and refer the corporate parent pom using the RELEASE version.

Regards
Jeff MAURY

RE: LATEST and RELEASE

Posted by Timothy Reilly <tr...@prolifics.com>.