Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by arun kumar <ar...@yahoo.com> on 2006/12/01 14:25:01 UTC

[users@httpd] Perchild MPM

Hi All,

  Please let me know whether apache 2.2.3 will support perchid MPM or
not..

  Because while installing apache 2.2.3 it's not showing me the perchid
mpm in option.

  bash-3.00# ./configure --help

    --with-sslc=DIR         RSA SSL-C SSL/TLS toolkit
  --with-ssl=DIR          OpenSSL SSL/TLS toolkit
  --with-mpm=MPM          Choose the process model for Apache to use.
                          MPM={beos|event|worker|prefork|mpmt_os2}
  --with-module=module-type:module-file
                          Enable module-file in the
modules/
                          directory.

  Thanks ,
  Arun

---------------------------------

Re: [users@httpd] Perchild MPM

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 12/2/06, Jaqui Greenlees <ja...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> --- Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> wrote:
>
> > I'm not really sure what you mean by "included the
> > perchild_mpm
> > module", since mpm modules cannot be separately
> > included like regular
> > modules.  They must be compiled into the server.
> > And I'm sure that
> > nobody is distributing perchild as a default mpm.
>
> a default http.conf entry that suggests it is:
> # perchild MPM
> <IfModule perchild.c>
>     NumServers 5
>     StartThreads 5
>     MinSpareThreads 5
>     MaxSpareThreads 10
>     MaxThreadsPerChild 20
>     MaxRequestsPerChild 0
> </IfModule>
>
> this is from a distro I don't have installed right
> now, but they do actually use perchild in their http
> server build, I have seen the compiled in module list
> for it.
>
> which only says that they made use of it in their
> distro release last year. I will have to install the
> current release and check for it.

No, it only says that the config file is ready if someone chooses to
recompile apache with perchild.  The <IfModule> indicates that this
section is completely ignored if perchild is not present, as is the
case in the default install.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Perchild MPM

Posted by Jaqui Greenlees <ja...@yahoo.ca>.
--- Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> wrote:

> I'm not really sure what you mean by "included the
> perchild_mpm
> module", since mpm modules cannot be separately
> included like regular
> modules.  They must be compiled into the server.
> And I'm sure that
> nobody is distributing perchild as a default mpm.

a default http.conf entry that suggests it is:
# perchild MPM
<IfModule perchild.c>
    NumServers 5
    StartThreads 5
    MinSpareThreads 5
    MaxSpareThreads 10
    MaxThreadsPerChild 20
    MaxRequestsPerChild 0
</IfModule>

this is from a distro I don't have installed right
now, but they do actually use perchild in their http
server build, I have seen the compiled in module list
for it.

which only says that they made use of it in their
distro release last year. I will have to install the
current release and check for it.

Jaqui

Re: [users@httpd] Perchild MPM

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 12/1/06, Jaqui Greenlees <ja...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> That is odd then that most linux distros still include
> perchild in the distro.
> I've just spend the last couple of weeks checking out
> the current releases of the biggest distros and they
> all included the perchild_mpm module.
> [ not the only issue with them but one of the least
> urgent to correct. Mandriva 2007 not allowing
> installation of any software, including updates, is a
> good example of a serious issue. ]
>
> is there any way to have the module page present a not
> supported / functional message before the download
> links get presented?

I'm not really sure what you mean by "included the perchild_mpm
module", since mpm modules cannot be separately included like regular
modules.  They must be compiled into the server.  And I'm sure that
nobody is distributing perchild as a default mpm.

Perchild is not even present in 2.2.  In 2.0, there is an obvious warning here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/perchild.html
This is no separate module download link for perchild; it is included
with the source-code of the main server.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Perchild MPM

Posted by Jaqui Greenlees <ja...@yahoo.ca>.

http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/Recipes/Different_UserIDs_Using_Reverse_Proxy

> Joshua.

That is odd then that most linux distros still include
perchild in the distro.
I've just spend the last couple of weeks checking out
the current releases of the biggest distros and they
all included the perchild_mpm module.
[ not the only issue with them but one of the least
urgent to correct. Mandriva 2007 not allowing
installation of any software, including updates, is a
good example of a serious issue. ]

is there any way to have the module page present a not
supported / functional message before the download
links get presented?

Jaqui
[ searching for a way to contact the http server team
for an off topic post ]

Re: [users@httpd] Perchild MPM

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.