Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Brice Hamon <no...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/09 23:04:00 UTC

New install help

Hi guys,

I am upgrading the OS of a web server machine from OpenSuse 11.3 to 13.2.

I installed the OS plain vanilla, and used the OpenSuse Rivet 2.2.4 package
installation (thanks Harald).

I reconfigured the web server and I am now facing two strange related
issues.

1) I use a RivetServerConf ServerInitScript file which inits a bunch of DB
connections. It is also suppose to generate a /tmp  log file. But nothing
get's generated. No file, no error in apache. I just get the apache log:

[Tue Feb 09 16:32:48.027413 2016] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 1801] AH00163:
Apache/2.4.10 (Linux/SUSE) OpenSSL/1.0.1k-fips Rivet configured -- resuming
normal operations
[Tue Feb 09 16:32:48.027704 2016] [core:notice] [pid 1801] AH00094: Command
line: '/usr/sbin/httpd2-prefork -f /etc/apache2/httpd.conf -D SSL -D
SYSTEMD -D FOREGROUND'

When I run the same script manually in a tclsh as root, the file gets
created no problem.

2) The river module loads and runs fine, but from inside a rivet page, I
can't create a debug log file under /tmp. I am getting a permission denied.
It used to work fine on Rivet  2.2.3.

So it seems to be a right problem more than anything but I was wondering if
someone had that problem before.

Thank you.
Brice.

<#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Re: New install help

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it>.
Hi Brice

I'm mostly off-line this week, so I couldn't answer your message
earlier.

7On 09-02-2016 23:04, Brice Hamon wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am upgrading the OS of a web server machine from OpenSuse 11.3 to
> 13.2.
>
> I installed the OS plain vanilla, and used the OpenSuse Rivet 2.2.4
> package installation (thanks Harald).
>
> I reconfigured the web server and I am now facing two strange related
> issues.
>
> 1) I use a RivetServerConf ServerInitScript file which inits a bunch
> of DB connections. It is also suppose to generate a /tmp  log file.
> But nothing gets generated. No file, no error in apache. I just get
> the apache log:
>

> [Tue Feb 09 16:32:48.027413 2016] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 1801]
> AH00163: Apache/2.4.10 (Linux/SUSE) OpenSSL/1.0.1k-fips Rivet
> configured -- resuming normal operations11111
> [Tue Feb 09 16:32:48.027704 2016] [core:notice] [pid 1801] AH00094:
> Command line: /usr/sbin/httpd2-prefork -f /etc/apache2/httpd.conf -D
> SSL -D SYSTEMD -D FOREGROUND
>
> When I run the same script manually in a tclsh as root, the file gets
> created no problem.
>
> 2) The river module loads and runs fine, but from inside a rivet
> page,
> I cant create a debug log file under /tmp. I am getting a permission
> denied. It used to work fine on Rivet  2.2.3.

weird...what did change in the webserver configuration with the new OS?
Are they running the web server with a different user? The
directory /tmp should be pretty much writable from nearly everybody on
the system

Re: New install help

Posted by Massimo Manghi <mx...@apache.org>.

On 03/03/2016 06:03 AM, Brice Hamon wrote:
> I will give it a shot but after I understand something with 2.4.
>
> I now use SeparateVirtualInterps set to on and ChildInitScript to init all
> DB connections and sockets for each child processes. How do I get access to
> them from a .rvt page?

you get access to them by fully qualifying the names of
variables/commands that refer to them. You may store your I/O handles
and DB connections in some namespace, provided you qualify its name
*outside* the ::request namespace. Years ago I wrote this page for the
manual about request processing

http://tcl.apache.org/rivet/manual2.2/request.html

it explain the default globals namespace :: is the namespace where
script run except for code placed in rvt templates that runs within the
::request namespace. Obviously you can't store the application status in
those variables, the Session package is there for this.

> I tried ::request::global, or looking for [info vars xxx] etc but could not
> find my variables.
>
> Thanks

I usually do most of the work of processing a request in BeforeScript
and put in the template just the code to fetch the data to be displayed
(along with the page title and other metadata...)

  -- Massimo

Re: New install help

Re: New install help

Posted by Massimo Manghi <mx...@apache.org>.
After your clarification I don't know if 3.0.0 will solved your problem
anymore, but it's stable enough to test it, so please get it from the
repository and build it for development system.

  -- Massimo

Re: New install help

Posted by Brice Hamon <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Massimo,

Re: New install help

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it>.
Hi

Re: New install help

Posted by Brice Hamon <no...@gmail.com>.
Ok here is some facts:

Re: New install help

Posted by Brice Hamon <no...@gmail.com>.
YES !  Massimo, you're my man !

Re: New install help

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it>.
Hi Brice

Re: New install help

Posted by Brice Hamon <no...@gmail.com>.
Quick update,

Re: New install help

Posted by Brice Hamon <no...@gmail.com>.
Thanks guys,

Re: New install help

Posted by Harald Oehlmann <ha...@elmicron.de>.
Hi Massimo,

Re: New install help

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it>.
Hi Brice

Re: New install help

Posted by Brice Hamon <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Still no luck.

I did a fresh install of OpenSuse 13.2, install the Rivet 2.2.4 and
recompiled it with simple options:

./configure --with-apxs=/usr/bin/apxs2 --prefix=/usr/local

Rivet works fine, just I can't create files locally.

[Fri Feb 26 10:07:28.021057 2016] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 5085] AH00163:
Apache/2.4.10 (Linux/SUSE) OpenSSL/1.0.1k-fips Rivet configured -- resuming
normal operations
[Fri Feb 26 10:07:28.021230 2016] [core:notice] [pid 5085] AH00094: Command

Re: New install help

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it>.

Re: New install help

Posted by Brice Hamon <no...@gmail.com>.
Nope. AppArmor is disabled on my host. No change.

Re: New install help

Posted by Brice Hamon <no...@gmail.com>.
Thanks guys,

Re: New install help

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it>.

Re: New install help

Posted by Harald Oehlmann <ha...@elmicron.de>.
Am 12.02.2016 um 16:25 schrieb Brice Hamon:

> Rivet works great, pages are generated normally. But I can't create a
> log file or write an upload files into the local file system.
> The web server forked https as wwwrun as usual. There is nothing I can
> think of preventing the interpreter to write to the local file system
> accroding to the user rights.
>
> Any hints?

AppArmor or SELinux can do those things. And of cause a root jail.
OpenSuSE does all those things to increase security AFAIK...

I would check AppArmor, which might be activated.

- Harald

Re: New install help

Posted by Brice Hamon <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,