Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Ricky Murphy <ri...@hotmail.com> on 2008/10/18 03:24:19 UTC

Advice needed with Axis2 and attachment

Hello All:

I am seeking some advice on my project. The use case: I need to return an XML string to client side. This xml string represents the structure of an object or a collection of such objects. Depends on the situation, the collection could be small or big. if big, we are talking about several thousands of such objects. In Axis1, the entire XML string is on my payload and encoded as well (RPC/encoded). Therefore, the performance could be bad. When I started learning Axis2, with other benefit I get from Axis-2, I was thinking to use MTOM/SOAP Attachments, The reason is that I want to leverage the streaming support that MTOM provides (did I understand this correctly about MTOM)?

In Axis1, I didn't need to get Axis1 API involved (for example, the method has the signature: public String[] getBooks(){...}, where the return String is an XML presentation of Book objects. Alternatively, the signature of above method: public Book[] getBooks(){...}). What do you recommend in this use case to get the max performance.

Thank you,

-Rick