Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@oracle.com> on 2017/09/15 07:15:52 UTC

Re: Cleaning hg binaries

On čtvrtek 14. září 2017 14:16:29 CEST Jan Lahoda wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > My feeling is that we could make a semi-automated script to find the
> > matching Maven dependency based on the MD5 we already have. The only
> > thing is to pick the authoritative dependency (ie. not a re-package to
> > another groupId).
>
> I was thinking of that some time ago, attaching a script that I wrote for
> that. One of the issues is that not all of the libraries are on Maven.
>
> Jarda, looking at the Maven support in external binaries, seems that if the
> binary is not in $HOME/.m2/repository, it is downloaded, but not cached
> anywhere, so next time it is needed, it is downloaded again. Is that the
> case? Can we cache the downloaded files somewhere, so we don't need to
> download them again?

Best to cache them in $HOME/.m2/repository, I assume. Sure that can be
changed: download the file, and when done, atomically (well at least quickly)
copy the file to appropriate place.

Major Péter wrote:
> assume converting the project to Maven/Gradle is out of question for a
> while.

We certainly need to find a way to upload Maven bits to Maven central
repository[1], rather than maintaining our own repo.

However I believe that there are easier ways to achieve that than rewriting
NetBeans build scripts.

> You may wish to consider using Ivy to resolve Maven dependencies. I

It is important to have incremental migration path - e.g. for now we need to
be able to download both from Maven as well as hg.netbeans.org/binaries - that
is easier to do with own DownloadBinaries task than Ivy, I guess.

-jt

[1] Right now there is
http://bits.netbeans.org/nexus/content/groups/netbeans/
http://bits.netbeans.org/nexus/
and the binaries are needed by many projects out there - we wonder what Apache
is going to do with that...