Posted to dev@esme.apache.org by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/12 14:04:12 UTC

[VOTE] Dealing with copyright issue (See ESME-47)

1. The following text will be added to the NOTICE file:

"This product contains software developed by David Pollak and licensed
to the Apache Software Foundation via a Contributor's License
Agreement. "

2. The wording of the copyright notice in the individuals files is currently:
 "Copyright 2008-2009 WorldWide Conferencing, LLC"

This copyright notice will be changed to
  "Copyright 2008-2009 WorldWide Conferencing, LLC (under David Pollak's CLA)"

For details, please see this legal-discuss mailing list thread:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201001.mbox/%3cf767f0601001110028n54d85d03xaf703119fa08df6e@mail.gmail.com%3e

Re: [VOTE] Dealing with copyright issue (See ESME-47)

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
+1 (IPMC).  All this represents is a mild case of founder's syndrome.
We've seen it many times before at Apache.  To keep the group focused
I suggest quickly getting past this issue and onto something productive,
like a fresh release of ESME.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
In that case it wouldn't hurt to notifiy general@incubator about
this issue, so I've ccd them.  The skinny is that esme has had a
committer violate ASF policy on copyright notices in his commits
and he elected to resign instead of comply.  ESME is mopping up
after him, and this is what they've decided to do.  IPMC members
please consider hopping on esme-dev@ and expressing your +1 / -1 if
you feel the urge. Thanks.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.
I wasn't closing the vote, just posting the current status ;-)

/Anne

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Robert,

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Anne Kathrine Petterøe
> <yo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just to sum up the vote so far.
>>
>> ESME PPMC +1: 6
>> IMPC +1: 3
>> IMPC -1: 1
>>
>> We would need one more IMPC +1 vote to ratify the ESME team vote right?
>
> i am -1 with legal team and IPMC hats on (due to phrasing)
>
> have you included me in the tally?...

This thread is the first vote on that subject, but since then a second
vote has been started, with slightly different phrasing. That's where
your -1 is, and that's not tallied yet.

See the "[VOTE] Copyright issue (ESME-47)" thread on both esme-dev and
general@incubator - unfortunately not all messages are CCed to both
lists, so that's a bit confusing.

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] Dealing with copyright issue (See ESME-47)

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
<yo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to sum up the vote so far.
>
> ESME PPMC +1: 6
> IMPC +1: 3
> IMPC -1: 1
>
> We would need one more IMPC +1 vote to ratify the ESME team vote right?

i am -1 with legal team and IPMC hats on (due to phrasing)

have you included me in the tally?

- robert

Re: [VOTE] Dealing with copyright issue (See ESME-47)

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.
Just to sum up the vote so far.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.
Any mentors out there?
What's next?
Should we have another vote with the new text which was suggested on the legal-list after we started this vote?

/Anne

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
Vote results after 3+ days:

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
> I think the difference between "crystal clean" and "NASCAR approach" is a
> matter of perspective, because, as you said, some people are interested in
> being able to relicense their work, and, for that matter, the work of others
> as well.  From David's perspective I believe "crystal clean" means a single
> legal entity (and one that has trusts, at that) has the undisputed power to
> relicense the code base.

Then David is wrong, because the ICLA grants the ASF that power as well.

Re: [VOTE] Dealing with copyright issue (See ESME-47)

Posted by Erik Engbrecht <er...@gmail.com>.

--
http://erikengbrecht.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Dealing with copyright issue (See ESME-47)

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Erik Engbrecht <er...@gmail.com>.
I don't know if this will add anything to the conversation, but...

I think David's concern is that, if wishes, he is able to reconstruct a
version of ESME where WorldWide Conferencing, LLC holds copyright to the
entirety, and he doesn't want there to be anything out there that some piece
of that reconstruction no longer belongs to WorldWide Conferencing, LLC
because it was transferred to ASF.  He's very, very stringent about keeping
the IP in his projects crystal clean and owned by his holding company.  This
is about what rights David has, not what rights ASF has, beyond David
feeling ASF does not have the right to do anything that might cast doubt on
his ownership of his contributions.

I also think he consider's "his contributions" to be anything to which
Worldwide Conferencing, LLC held copyright when it was donated to ASF,
whether he was the author of not.

Just like ASF would consider yanking David's contributions from the ESME
code base because he's done something to cast doubt on whether they were
appropriately made, David is making sure ASF doesn't do anything to cast
doubts on his ownership.

I think Ethan's right, David is trying to be painstackingly clear in his
wording.

I'd make sure you're language is tight and makes both ASF's and David's
rights clear, wait a week to make sure you're talking to
David-the-programmer/lawyer, not David-the-rockstar, and have Anne or Dick
contact him with whatever you decide and request constructive suggestions
regarding any issues he has.  I think he'll be reasonable.

Just my 2 cents as an observer...

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <g....@sourcesense.com>.
On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 1:37 AM, Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 6:47 PM, Gianugo Rabellino
> <g....@sourcesense.com> wrote:
>
>> [...] Although I would
>> argue that no one pointed out the scary elephant in the room, that is
>> the fact that it is unclear whether David intended to contribute his
>> code under the ICLA or under the AL. I'm still wary of signing off a
>> release where, at a very least, we have to force our hand and make a
>> decision on someone else's IP that while likely being licensed to us
>> properly, maybe it's not.
>
> I think it's quite clear that David is licensing his copyright under
> the CLA, not under the Apache license. To quote from his resignation
> email:
>
> "PS -- My resignation in no way abrogates any rights in the
> copywritten materials that I have licensed to the ASF under my CLA"
>
> It's possible that originally David was under the impression that the
> CLA license contained exactly the same restrictions as the Apache 2.0
> license, which is not the case. However, I think he clarified that for
> himself, or more likely meant something entirely different than what
> was construed in the original discussion. In this case he's being
> painstakingly clear in his wording.

If everyone here is happy with a strong and explicit previous claim,
followed by a mild concession in the context of negative phrasing (not
abrogating any right), I'm fine. But I'd rather have something more
explicit in that direction.

--
Gianugo Rabellino
M: +44 779 5364 932 / +39 389 44 26 846

Re: [VOTE] Dealing with copyright issue (See ESME-47)

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <g....@sourcesense.com>.
On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]

In all honesty, I think the discussion on l-d kind of drifted towards
the current conclusion, with no one pointing out how inconsistent it
is with the actual policy (my bad: I'm currently being held hostage in
a building where I'm not allowed to bring a laptop, so I was unable to
point that out).

>> Maybe it's just better we all forget about this mishap,
>> otherwise we are going to spend the next few days arguing about the
>> wording of a policy that, to me, is now just a simple guideline. I
>> guess I'll just sit here, hoping the day will never come where I will
>> have to pull a told-you-so.
>
> Were this a project I was a committer on,  I would probably vote to bite the
> bullet and pull the commits in question as I don't believe people should be
> rewarding for taking a dump on community property.  But this is an incubating
> project trying to get some code out the door, and is free to make its own
> policy-aligned choices.

In addition to your very good point on David getting way more
recognition than others who contributed much more to Apache, I believe
we are not doing ESME a good service by imposing them a baggage they
will have to deal with in the future, when the can of worms of having
inconsistent (c) notices will surface and people will be scared to
touch a single line of notices that are not accurate anymore as source
code evolves yet represent a social/policy/legal minefield. Then
again, it seems it's just me so I'll rest my case. Although I would

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <g....@sourcesense.com>.
On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]

for a start. Maybe it's just better we all forget about this mishap,

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <g....@sourcesense.com>.
On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:31 PM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]

I can only respect your opinion, and respectfully disagree. I hope you
will do the same and accept that I'm worried we are opening a backdoor
where the next David Pollack might argue that he shouldn't remove
copyright notices as there is evidence of a policy being ignored in
the past.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:
> > I'm hoping another lengthy diatribe from you won't be
> > necessary.  While I don't blame you for David's disappearance,
> > the reason we bother to document policy is so people don't
> > need to get creative with their legal understanding of how the ASF works.
> > In the future should this issue ever present itself to you,
> > I hope you will do the proper thing and point the errant person
> > at the relevant ASF policy
>
> That would be the same policy that says we _must_ remove copyright
> notices from source files, right?

Technically it says the copyright holder must do that, not the ASF.
I personally don't believe there are any statutory issues with moving
the copyright notice to NOTICE, and am certain it's not a tort to do that.
But the policy in question doesn't cover that act.  If you'd like it
to cover that, this is the wrong list for that conversation.

> The same policy that is now being
> discarded in light of a compromise that makes very little sense and
> sets a dangerous precedent?

It is neither a compromise nor a precedent.  It is a decision
in line with ASF policy and made by the project (and apparently
supported by members of the IPMC).

> No, I guess I have very little to add. But don't ask for my +1.

Trust me I wasn't.

Re: [VOTE] Dealing with copyright issue (See ESME-47)

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <g....@sourcesense.com>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
I'm hoping another lengthy diatribe from you won't be
necessary.  While I don't blame you for David's disappearance,
the reason we bother to document policy is so people don't
need to get creative with their legal understanding of how the ASF works.
In the future should this issue ever present itself to you,
I hope you will do the proper thing and point the errant person
at the relevant ASF policy document instead of using your law
background to engage them in legal arguments.

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <g....@sourcesense.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mrinal Wadhwa <mr...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
+1 (IPMC binding)

Posted by Vassil Dichev <vd...@apache.org>.
+1

After catching up on legal-discuss, thanks to everyone who helped for
reaching a solution which is satisfactory to all sides.

Posted by Daniel Koller <da...@googlemail.com>.
+1

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.
+1