Posted to dev@samza.apache.org by rayman preet <ra...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/19 23:04:52 UTC

Samza 1.0 Release

Hi all,

We have added a number of major features and changes to master since 0.14.1
that warrants

a major 1.0 release.

Within LinkedIn, some of these features have already been tested as part of

our test suites. We plan to continue our testing in coming weeks to

validate the stability prior to release.

We wanted to kick off the discussion in the open source forum to keep the

momentum flowing.

Here is a selected list of features that are part of the new release

SAMZA-1789: unify ApplicationDescriptor and ApplicationRunner for high- and
low-level APIs in YARN and standalone environment

SAMZA-1804: System and stream descriptors

SAMZA-1858: Public APIs for shared context

SAMZA-1763: Add async methods to Table API

SAMZA-1786: Introduce the metadata store abstraction

SAMZA-1859: Zookeeper implementation of MetadataStore

SAMZA-1788: Add the LocationIdProvider abstraction
SAMZA-1648: Integration Test Framework & Collection Stream Impl

We have also worked on the following upgrades and bugfixes. Here are some

highlights

SAMZA-1768: Handle corrupted OFFSET file

SAMZA-1817: Long classpath support for non-split deployments

SAMZA-1719: Add caching support to table-api
SAMZA-1783: Add Log4j2 functionality in Samza
SAMZA-1868: Kafka client upgrade. Refactor KafkaSystemAdmin from using
SimpleConsumer*
SAMZA-1776: Kafka client upgrade. Refactor KafkaSystemConsumer to remove
the usage of deprecated SimpleConsumer client*
SAMZA-1730: Adding state validation in StreamProcessor before any lifecycle
operation and group coordination
SAMZA-1695: Clear events in ScheduleAfterDebounceTime on session expiration
SAMZA-1647: Fix race conditions in StreamProcessor
SAMZA-1748: Failure tests in the standalone deployment

*: pending checkin.

You can find a concrete list of the features, bug-fixes, upgrades here

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SAMZA-1875?jql=project%20%3D%20SAMZA%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Fixed%20ORDER%20BY%20created%20DESC
.

Here is my proposal on our release schedule and timelines.

   1. Cut the 1.0 release branch.

   2. Target a release vote on the week of Oct 1st.

--

Thanks

rayman

Re: Samza 1.0 Release

Posted by Yi Pan <ni...@gmail.com>.
+1 for 1.0! Thanks Rayman for sending out this email!

P.S. @Tom, we are in the path to move closer to Kafka 1.0 by removing all
deprecated SimpleConsumer client usage in 1.0. We will definitely keeping
that target in mind after we stabilize the major features and APIs in this
release.

Thanks for the input!

-Yi

Re: Samza 1.0 Release