Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org> on 1999/04/17 05:16:05 UTC

VOTE: apache-apr -> (1.4|2.0)

Hi folks.  The time has come to make a decision; and apologies if this
seems out of line, but it seems like the arguments have been made, and
it's time to decide, as a group.  This is an issue worth gathering the
collective opinion on, as it's a change that affects everyone working or
intending to work on the code in question.  So I'm going to propose a
process for this; if anyone has an issue with it, and feels strongly this
is the wrong way to go, feel free to speak your mind, but please use a
different subject line.

It will work this way: read the propositions below, and then snip the
ballot at the bottom, make your selections, and send that to the list,
using this subject line. I will collect responses through Tuesday night,
and summarize for the list, and then take a set of actions (related to CVS
wrangling) based on those conclusions.  If you want to change your mind,
submit another ballot; I'll select only the latest ballot from any single
person. Obviously, this is not a secret ballot.

#######

Question I: Should the next release of Apache be based on the hybrid
"apache-apr" prototype?
  YES  [ ]       NO  [ ]

Question II: Should the next release of Apache be called 1.4 or 2.0, even
if multithreading and a portability API are the only new additions?
  YES  [ ]       NO  [ ]

Question III: If you answered "yes" to question I, and consider 'N' to be
either 1.4 or 2.0 based on your answer to question II, is the following a
reasonable set of actions to take?

  a) Rename the "apache-2.0" CVS module to "apache-nspr".
     YES  [ ]       NO  [ ]

  b) Move the "2.0 design documents" from apache-nspr to a new
     directory under apache-site
     YES  [ ]       NO  [ ]

  c) Create a new "apache-N" module, import APACHE_1_3_6 as tagged
     from the apache_1.3 module, and patch it to bring it up to apache-apr
     functionality.
     YES  [ ]       NO  [ ]

  d) *Alternately to IIIc:* create the "apache-N" module and import the
     apache-apr/pthreads tree from the "apache-apr" repository.
     YES  [ ]       NO  [ ]

  e) "apache-apr" should be kept around a project aimed at developing a
     generic portability layer for other Apache projects (or even
     non-Apache).

Vote early, vote often!

	Brian

#######

Ballot for Apache 1.4/2.0 directions:

I:      YES  [ ]       NO  [ ]
II:     YES  [ ]       NO  [ ]
IIIa:   YES  [ ]       NO  [ ]
IIIb:   YES  [ ]       NO  [ ]
IIIc:   YES  [ ]       NO  [ ]
IIId:   YES  [ ]       NO  [ ]
IIIe:   YES  [ ]       NO  [ ]

#######

Re: Apache-Apr description ?

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 18, 1999 at 04:44:24PM +0200, Michel Debar wrote:
> > I would like to find a description of the Apache-apr project
>
> Basically, it is an extension of the Apache 1.3 design

This is a confusion.  The 'apache-apr project' is devoted to
constructing a portable runtime library (the 'pr' in 'apr')
that can be used in more things than just the Apache Web server
(the 'portable' in 'portable runtime').

It happens that the apache-apr directory tree has also been
used as the working area for the 'hybrid server' project, which
is what Manoj described.

>From the recent voting, it seems clear that the hybrid server
project will be moving out of the apache-apr tree and into its
own, leaving apache-apr containing *only* the APR project.
--
#ken    P-)}

Re: Apache-Apr description ?

Posted by Michel Debar <mi...@fundp.ac.be>.
Thank you for the info - it sufficiently describes the idea for me.

Regards, Michel Debar

At 15:39 18.04.99 -0500, you wrote:
>On Sun, Apr 18, 1999 at 04:44:24PM +0200, Michel Debar wrote:
>> I would like to find a description of the Apache-apr project, and could not
>> locate any. Can some kind person help by providing a pointer, or a
>> document, or a pointer to where the discussion on this is archived.
>
>Hmmm, I don't actually know of a description archived on the net about
>this code. What kind of info are you looking for?
>
>Basically, it is an extension of the Apache 1.3 design, to have
>multiple processes, each with multiple threads serving requests. Right
>now, it is based on pthreads, meaning Unix-only, but eventually we'll
>base it on a portability layer so it can run on other platforms.
>
>Manoj

Michel DEBAR  -  Directeur Technique - FUNDP University Computing Centre
61, rue de Bruxelles   B5000 Namur    Belgium

tel      +32 (81) 72 50 16
fax      +32 (81) 72 50 23
e-mail   Michel.Debar@fundp.ac.be
web      http://www.fundp.ac.be (travail)
         http://michel.debar.org (personnel)

Re: Apache-Apr description ?

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@raleigh.ibm.com>.

Re: QUESTION: apache-apr -> (1.4|2.0)

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>.
On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Marc Slemko wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>
> > Question II: Should the next release of Apache be called 1.4 or 2.0, even
> > if multithreading and a portability API are the only new additions?
> >   YES  [ ]       NO  [ ]
>
> Erm... I'm not quite sure I follow that one.  "should it be called 1.4 or
> 2.0".  What are we saying if we say no?  Is this supposed to be a choice
> between 1.4 and 2.0?

Argh, malicious cut and paste.  I will repost.

> And note that it isn't the "next release" but the next non-point.

Correct.

	Brian

Re: QUESTION: apache-apr -> (1.4|2.0)

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>.

Re: VOTE: apache-apr -> (1.4|2.0)

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca>.
Either it is too late at night and my brain is tired, or maybe I am just
too dense, but a couple of those questions made very little sense to me.
I was expecting something in there to ask whether the next point release
should be called 1.4 or 2.0.  I thought we already pretty much unanimously
decided to try to make the next point release apr-based.

For the record, I think it should be called 2.0.  It gives people the
impression that it is a big deal moving from 1.3.x to 2.0 as opposed to
going from 1.3.x to 1.4.  And it is a big deal moving from a multi-process
based server to a hybrid server with the ability to do MT.  It will break
a whole whack of third-party non-MT safe things that they may or may not
have attached to their httpd.

Nearly 1 in 5 Apache-run domains out there currently use mod_php3.  That's
a lot of servers running a module that is not currently MT-safe.
Hopefully by the time an Apache with MT capabilities is ready, there will
be a version of PHP waiting for these people to upgrade to.  With the API
changes and the apr layer, I first need to wait for this stuff to
stabilize, then I need to do a lot of work in the PHP code.  I don't see
this as a minor thing.  Whether there are new features or not, a basic
architecture change like this warrants a major revision number upgrade in
my books.

-Rasmus