Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ritesh Kumar <ri...@yahoo.com> on 2007/06/21 11:42:41 UTC

Comet example Tomcat 6 not working.

Hi,

I am trying to run the comet sample given along with tomcat. The sample is
not working correctly most of the time. I am using NIO connectors and Tomcat
version is 6.0.10.
I have some doubts also:

1)  In the ChatServer example, a thread (using a Runnable MessageSender) is
sending responses the clients. Is it possible to write multiple times to the
same response. Because when we do writer.flush() then that response is sent
to the client.

2) The READ event is never invoked in my example. whenever I send a request
only BEGIN event is getting called. I thought, for the first time only BEGIN
event should get called, and for further requests by the same client, READ
event should get called.

3) I am getting exception at the line where the thread which is trying to
write to response stream is calling the flush method.
The code (from tomcat example) is:

                     for (int i = 0; i < connections.size(); i++) {
                        try {
                            PrintWriter writer =
connections.get(i).getWriter();
                            String toBeFlushed = "";
                            for (int j = 0; j < pendingMessages.length; j++)
{
                                // FIXME: Add HTML filtering
                                writer.println(pendingMessages[j] +
"<br/>");
                            }
                            writer.println("Random message 1" + "<br/>");
                            writer.println("Random message 2" + "<br/>");
                            System.out.println("writer will flush now.
writer is null?=" + writer == null);
                            writer.flush();
                        } catch (IOException e) {
                            log("IOExeption sending message", e);
                        }
                    }

And the error message I am getting is:

Exception in thread "MessageSender[/CometTestApp]"
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalNioOutputBuffer.addToBB(InternalNioOutputBuffer.java:607)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalNioOutputBuffer.commit(InternalNioOutputBuffer.java:600)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProcessor.action(Http11NioProcessor.java:1010)
        at org.apache.coyote.Response.action(Response.java:183)
        at org.apache.coyote.Response.sendHeaders(Response.java:379)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.OutputBuffer.doFlush(OutputBuffer.java:305)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.OutputBuffer.flush(OutputBuffer.java:288)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteWriter.flush(CoyoteWriter.java:95)
        at
com.headstrong.test.ChatServlet$MessageSender.run(ChatServlet.java:276)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Re: Comet example Tomcat 6 not working.

Posted by Ritesh Kumar <ri...@yahoo.com>.
You need not click on the hyperlink to do anything. This hyperlink can open
another window very similar to post.jsp. I think this post.jsp is sufficient
for sending messages.
If you really are interested in making the hyperlink working you need to
copy the javascript function openWindow in post.jsp. Something like this but
I am not sure:

<Script Language="JavaScript">
function openWindow(url,w,h,tb,stb,l,mb,sb,rs,x,y){
var t=(document.layers)? ',screenX='+x+',screenY='+y: ',left='+x+',top='+y;
//A LITTLE CROSS-BROWSER CODE FOR WINDOW POSITIONING
tb=(tb)?'yes':'no'; stb=(stb)?'yes':'no'; l=(l)?'yes':'no';
mb=(mb)?'yes':'no'; sb=(sb)?'yes':'no'; rs=(rs)?'yes':'no';
var x=window.open(url, 'newWin'+new Date().getTime(),
'scrollbars='+sb+',width='+w+',height='+h+',toolbar='+tb+',status='+stb+',menubar='+mb+',links='+l+',resizable='+rs+t);
x.focus();
}
</Script>

But making something to work I think, you need only the post.jsp and some
modification in ChatServlet.java.
I have modified the ChatServlet.java such that  begin(request, response,
event); line gets executed in case of the block where "login".equals(action)
== true. This method will register the user.

This begin method needs to be executed otherwise for loop of MessageSender
will not be working.

Hope this helps.

Posted by Tony Winslow <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ritesh Kumar <ri...@yahoo.com>.
To Tony:

Posted by Tony Winslow <to...@gmail.com>.
I visited http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/chat/login.jsp and type
whatever Nickname it requires, but what I get is a page saying "Chat example
only supports Comet processing". Then I checked the ChatServlet class and I

Posted by Ritesh Kumar <ri...@yahoo.com>.
To Tony:

Posted by Tony Winslow <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Reich, Matthias" <ma...@siemens.com>.