Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Manuel Barros <ma...@enjazz.com> on 2001/09/06 23:01:16 UTC

Some Minor Proposals for Future Xerces and Xalan

Hi,

I don't want to sound pedantic, but I propose a few ideas about how to
improve Xerces from the client's point of view (the library user and
contributor).

1. The MacOS 9 distribution should be supported, all of the underlying
technologies exist on the Macintosh.  Remember, although this is a small
number of developers, it is nevertheless a strong, and very innovative group
of developers who have pioneered numerous of applications we take for
granted.

2. Source files should use shorter file names, 32 characters maximum.  The
Macintosh supports 32 characters as well as other OSes. Also, Windows 95
already has a 256 character limit for pathnames.  Names are easily
discernable at 32 characters. I submitted a Perl script based on the Mac
port of Xerces that shortens the file names.  I hope its not too much to ask
that the class names also be shortened.

3. The Metrowerks compilers should be supported at the very least.
Metrowerks not only targets the Macintosh, but various embedded OSes, Palm,
Linux, and Windows.

4. The code base for Xerces and Xalan should converge and use the same
source base where applicable.  Frequently, you will find duplicate classes
in Xerces and Xalan which contributes to unnecessary bloat and complexity.

Well there is my two cents.  I am going to upgrade my Metrowerks compiler so
that I can finish my MacOS 9 port of Xalan. I am waiting for a release of
Codewarrior 7.  Thus far, I have been able to force fix namespace problems
in the C++, and successfully compiled it, but my namespace fixes are not
satisfactory for distribution.

-- Manuel