Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/04 14:27:08 UTC

Forrestdoc and Maven JXR

Hi,

The Maven Team want to start a discussion about Forrestdoc and JXR projects.

Background:
Forrestdoc [1]: Forrestdoc is a Javadoc/Source code/Documentation
management system.
JXR [2]: JXR is a source cross reference generator.

It sounds that these projects are very similar.

What is the status of Forrestdoc? Any release available? Could we join
our efforts?

Thanks,

Vincent

[1] http://people.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/forrestdoc/
[2] http://maven.apache.org/jxr/

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Note for the archives: Discussion continued at:
 Re: [Proposal] decide the future of forrestdoc
 http://marc.info/?t=118413398900001

-David

Re: Forrestdoc and Maven JXR

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Brett,

2007/7/13, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>:

> On 13/07/2007, at 8:37 PM, Vincent Siveton wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > FYI, the Forrest Team started a discussion about the future of
> > Forrestdoc:
> > http://www.nabble.com/-Proposal--decide-the-future-of-forrestdoc-
> > tf4060050.html
> >
> > A key concern is to know if the Maven community would like to accept
> > the code. WDYT?
>
> I think that's up to you and the others working on JXR at present.
> There seems to be a high overlap and good extra value, so it sounds
> worthwhile. I'm in agreement with David's comments on that thread
> above. This seems like the best home right now, it's best to have one
> copy, and if someone gets active from forrest again later we can work
> on it together.

Do we need a formal vote to go ahead?

Cheers,

Vincent

Re: Forrestdoc and Maven JXR

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Forrestdoc and Maven JXR

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
OK, then I'm in.

Vincent Siveton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2007/7/19, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>:
>> Vincent,
>>
>> Do you see that we replace the "engine" currently in JXR that
>> pretty-prints the Java code and adds anchors to it, with the
>> corresponding part of ForrestDoc? Or perhaps have it as an alternative
>> engine.
>
> As I proposed, a possibility could be a merge of both, or a
> replacement (maybe in version 3.x). We need to evaluate these
> possibilities.
>
>> If so I'm in favor of bringing ForrestDoc over here, as it adds value
>> over what we have today. The problem I see is that there seems to be
>> other code as well in ForrestDoc. I have not looked in detail but
>> references to Ant and JavaScript show up. How do we handle those?
>
> As Ross said "Forrest is not maintaining the code", so we will free to
> reorganize the code and separate Ant and JS in modules (see FOR-1028):
> JXR would become a source code documentation management system.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Vincent
>
>> Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>> > I'll have a closer look at what Forrestdoc is and if/how it could
>> > enhance JXR.

>> that

>> project.

>> http://people.apache.org/~vsiveton/forrestdoc/my-proj/javasrc/index.html

>> will it
>> other?

>> you
>> get

>> http://www.nabble.com/-Proposal--decide-the-future-of-forrestdoc-tf4060050.html

>> accept

>> handle the

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Forrestdoc and Maven JXR

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Forrestdoc and Maven JXR

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Vincent,

Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> [...]
>> community so we would basically be free to do whatever we feel is
>> appropriate.
>> The Forrest team doesnt want to provide POM in the Maven repositories,
>> "while Forrest has no other presence there". It is clear to me that
>> the Forrest community will always be welcome and just like Brett said,
>> we could work together in the future.
>>
>>> As I understand, you are (still) the only one actually working on the
>>> code, so you should decide what is most convenient for you, and if you
>>> volunteer to maintain it I see no problem to take it over, just to get
>>> an idea on what is going to happen.
>>
>> To be honnest, my involvement in the Forrestdoc tool was only related
>> to the development of some patches so far.  Obviously, I'm willing to
>> participate on the maintenance of the integration if other team
>> members are ready to get their hands dirty as well. Dennis: Would you

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Forrestdoc and Maven JXR

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Vincent Siveton wrote:
> [...]
>> an idea on what is going to happen.
>
> To be honnest, my involvement in the Forrestdoc tool was only related
> to the development of some patches so far.  Obviously, I'm willing to
> participate on the maintenance of the integration if other team
> members are ready to get their hands dirty as well. Dennis: Would you
> like to get involve it this?
>
> HTH,
>
> Cheers,
>
> Vincent
>
>> cheers
>> -Lukas
>>

>> Vincent Siveton wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > FYI, the Forrest Team started a discussion about the future of
>> Forrestdoc:
>> >
>> http://www.nabble.com/-Proposal--decide-the-future-of-forrestdoc-tf4060050.html
>>

>> > A key concern is to know if the Maven community would like to accept

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Forrestdoc and Maven JXR

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.

Vincent Siveton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2007/7/13, Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>:
>
>> Could you clarify a bit your intentions, I don't know if I missed that
>> in the discussion so far.
>

> For the log and AFAIK, here is a brief history of the Maven JXR project.
> o The orignal JXR code was merged in 2004 with the Javasrc project
> from the defunct Jakarta Alexandria project.
> o 14/May/06 version 2.0 released: around 8 issues fixed
> o 05/Apr/07 version 2.1 released: around 24 issues fixed

Just for the sake of completeness, I know a little bit about its history
too (actually I have quite fond memories since the very first patch I
ever submitted to maven was for the m1 jxr plugin :) ): after it was
taken from the alexandria project, the code was first maintained within
the m1 jxr plugin. In Sep 2005 it was voted to fork the base and create
a separate library. The first release was version 1.0 in January 2006.
AFAIK, until now jxr is the only instance where an m1 plugin is making
full and consistent use of an m2 library... ;)

> During the last year, Dennis and myself are the main committers on
> this JXR project. So I would like to hear Dennis about this proposal.

Ok, also waiting for Dennis' opinion. I think the essential thing is
that the code is maintained and cared for. Being somewhat familiar with
the jxr code, I am willing to help in case we bring it over.

-Lukas

Re: Forrestdoc and Maven JXR

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Forrestdoc and Maven JXR

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.

Re: Forrestdoc and Maven JXR

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Forrestdoc and Maven JXR

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: Forrestdoc and Maven JXR

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

Re: Forrestdoc and Maven JXR

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

RE: Forrestdoc and Maven JXR

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.

RE: Forrestdoc and Maven JXR

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.

RE: Forrestdoc and Maven JXR

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.

I don't think Forrestdoc has been worked on very much in the last couple of
years, apart from some general maintenance as part of the rest of the
peoject.

It is in our 'Whiteboard' currently, our testing ground, no official
releases come from there, they need to be voted out of whiteboard into
the main code, probably as a plugin such as it is now. It can be worked
on from there though until it is voted out.

I would certainly help out where I can see something I can do, not being a
Java person though that may be a bit limited, willing to learn though :)

Can't speak for the rest of the Forrest team though, where the code is
worked on and where it ends up needs talking through, so I'll await other
opinions on that.

Gav...

RE: Forrestdoc and Maven JXR

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.