Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Daniel Näslund <da...@longitudo.com> on 2010/02/21 13:11:35 UTC

Will subversion participate in Google Summer of Code 2010?

Hi!

Google Summer of Code is on for 2010 [1]. Is there any interest in
participating this year? If so, I've found that the mentoring
application deadline is 12 march. [2]

Since we're part of ASF, perhaps an application should go
through them? [3]

I've tried locating the GSoC ideas pages for 2009 but it seems to have
got lost in the move to apache.org. My own suggestions (given what I
know of subversion so far) would be:

Implementing a tree conflict resolver
---------------------------------------
This task probably should have editor-v2 available. Perhaps the task
could be defined as doing some vital parts of editor-v2 and continue
with a TC resolver once finished with the editor. And yes, I have no
notion whatsoever about the time frame required for the editor-work.

Replacing externals with something similar of ClearCases views
I overheard a conversation between Senthil and Bert on IRC where Bert
mentioned the views concept of ClearCase. [4] I want something like
externals but without the edge cases of file externals and with the
externals nodes being more like regular nodes.

Patch queues
--------------
Some kind of quilt functionality for local storage of work-in-progress.
Probably needs to have most the WC-NG parts stable.

The views concept and TC resolver was in the GSoC 2009 ideas page IIRC.

If the subversion community is interested in participating, I'm looking
forward to compete in a friendly fashion for one of the Student
Developer positions.

cheers,
Daniel

[1] http://code.google.com/soc/
[2] http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/faqs#timeline
[3] http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html
[4] http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/dynaweb_docs/0620/SGI_Developer/books/ClrC_CG/sgi_html/ch04.html

Re: Will subversion participate in Google Summer of Code 2010?

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 04:44:22PM +0100, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 08:10:27PM +0530, Azhagu Selvan wrote:
> > There's no mention of subversion ideas in asf-gsoc page. Any updates
> > on this?
>
> I haven't gotten around to putting the ideas up yet.
> If you have an idea please add it in this thread and I'll add get
> it added to the asf gsoc page.

I have filed the corresponding ASF tickets now:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&query=subversion&summary=true&description=true&body=true&pid=12311010

If you have additional ideas, please let me know.

Stefan

Re: Will subversion participate in Google Summer of Code 2010?

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Azhagu Selvan <se...@gmail.com>.
On Tuesday 09 March 2010 03:29 PM, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 07:28:13AM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 5:11 AM, Daniel Näslund<da...@longitudo.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Google Summer of Code is on for 2010 [1]. Is there any interest in
>>> participating this year? If so, I've found that the mentoring
>>> application deadline is 12 march. [2]
>>>
>>> Since we're part of ASF, perhaps an application should go
>>> through them? [3]
>>>
>> Yes.  There's an ASF committee called "comdev"
>> (http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html) that manages our participation
>> in GSoC.  They will do the application on the foundation's behalf and
>> post info to all PMCs about how to participate on the ASF end if a
>> project is interested.  ComDev will also manage the ranking process -
>> when you have 70+ projects interested in participating even when you
>> have 30-40 slots, the review process can get a bit "heated"
>> internally.  (If you're interested in tracking this, you might want to
>> join dev@community.apache.org.)  -- justin

There's no mention of subversion ideas in asf-gsoc page. Any updates on
this?

-- Azhagu Selvan

Re: Will subversion participate in Google Summer of Code 2010?

Posted by Azhagu Selvan <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 12:34:30PM +0100, Daniel Näslund wrote:
> Ok, I've already mentioned it but here's my main suggestion:
>
> Git diff format
> -----------------
> svn {diff,patch} should be able to use the git diff format. That would
> allow us to use patches for tree and mode changes. It should be
> (According to a statement by Augie Fackler in
> notes/svnpatch/svnpatch-git.txt) possible to our own hunk types to this
> format and thereby allowing us to transfer property modifications.
>
> After that, it gets harder. I don't have the neccessary experience to
> come up with more things...

Another idea (due to "eg" on users@):

Finish the ignore-mergeinfo branch
----------------------------------
This branch exists to add --ignore-mergeinfo to 'diff', 'st' and 'log.
The goal of this flag is to allow the user to filter changes to mergeinfo
from various reporting operations, thus allowing them to more easily detect
"real" changes of interest.  Several modes need to be supported:

 * 'log'
   - Retrieve logs from the server

 * 'diff'
   - Local diff
   - URL <-> WC diff
   - URL <-> URL diff
   - Diff summarize (in the above modes)

 * 'status'
   - Local status

Some prelimenary work has been done (Hyrum can you help quantify how much?)
The task is to finish the work begun on this branch so we can reintegrate
the branch into Subversion trunk in time for the 1.8 release.

Re: Will subversion participate in Google Summer of Code 2010?

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Daniel Näslund <da...@longitudo.com>.
On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 10:00:48AM +0100, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 03:01:36PM +0000, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de> wrote:
> > > Does this mean that we don't have to do anything special to apply
> > > for Gsoc, but just apply for slots within ASF when the time comes?
> >
> > Yup - you just apply internally.
> >
> > I believe someone from SVN should subscribe to
> > dev@community.apache.org [1] and poke the people over there about what
> > SVN should do.  (I haven't been tracking the process, but the GSoC
> > admins on Apache's end are over there and talking about this whole
> > thing.)
>
> I am subscribed to that list now. Today I also got instructions
> via pmcs@ about what to do apply.
>
> These pages pretty much say it all:
> http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html
> http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html
>
> Now, I'd like to post to dev@community.a.o and present Subversion's
> list of project ideas. Can people who are interested in Gsoc (students
> as well as potential mentors as well as people who are good at coming
> up with project ideas) help write down a definite list (including
> suitable project idea descriptions) of Gsoc project ideas for Subversion?
> In this thread?

Ok, I've already mentioned it but here's my main suggestion:

Git diff format
-----------------
svn {diff,patch} should be able to use the git diff format. That would
allow us to use patches for tree and mode changes. It should be
(According to a statement by Augie Fackler in
notes/svnpatch/svnpatch-git.txt) possible to our own hunk types to this
format and thereby allowing us to transfer property modifications.

After that, it gets harder. I don't have the neccessary experience to
come up with more things...

Editor-v2
-----------

Something with authz
---------------------

Something with externals
---------------------------

Something with HTTP performance
---------------------------------

Daniel

Re: Will subversion participate in Google Summer of Code 2010?

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 03:01:36PM +0000, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de> wrote:
> > Does this mean that we don't have to do anything special to apply
> > for Gsoc, but just apply for slots within ASF when the time comes?
>
> Yup - you just apply internally.
>
> I believe someone from SVN should subscribe to
> dev@community.apache.org [1] and poke the people over there about what
> SVN should do.  (I haven't been tracking the process, but the GSoC
> admins on Apache's end are over there and talking about this whole
> thing.)

I am subscribed to that list now. Today I also got instructions
via pmcs@ about what to do apply.

These pages pretty much say it all:
http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html
http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html

Now, I'd like to post to dev@community.a.o and present Subversion's
list of project ideas. Can people who are interested in Gsoc (students
as well as potential mentors as well as people who are good at coming
up with project ideas) help write down a definite list (including
suitable project idea descriptions) of Gsoc project ideas for Subversion?
In this thread?

I don't have time right now but will also help add items to the list later.

Thanks,
Stefan

Re: Will subversion participate in Google Summer of Code 2010?

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de> wrote:
> Does this mean that we don't have to do anything special to apply
> for Gsoc, but just apply for slots within ASF when the time comes?

Yup - you just apply internally.

I believe someone from SVN should subscribe to
dev@community.apache.org [1] and poke the people over there about what
SVN should do.  (I haven't been tracking the process, but the GSoC
admins on Apache's end are over there and talking about this whole
thing.)

> That would certainly be a time-saver! Otherwise, I'd volunteer
> to do gsoc paper work, but I'd need help doing so (I've never done
> it, plus dayjob leaves little time for it...)

Time-savers are kinda the point of coming to Apache in the first
place.  =P  -- justin

1. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/community-dev/

Re: Will subversion participate in Google Summer of Code 2010?

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 05:27:30PM +0100, Daniel Näslund wrote:
> If I was correct about 12 march beeing the deadline for organisationz to
> apply for GSoC, it's four days left today.
>
> I hope noone thinks I'm too pushy about this. Just wanted to rule out
> the risk of us missing the last date (even if that would be hard, with
> all my reminders :).

See my reply to Justin's post.

Stefan

Re: Will subversion participate in Google Summer of Code 2010?

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 05:27:30PM +0100, Daniel Näslund wrote:
> If I was correct about 12 march beeing the deadline for organisationz to
> apply for GSoC, it's four days left today.
>
> I hope noone thinks I'm too pushy about this. Just wanted to rule out
> the risk of us missing the last date (even if that would be hard, with
> all my reminders :).

See my reply to Justin's post.

Stefan

Re: Will subversion participate in Google Summer of Code 2010?

Posted by Daniel Näslund <da...@longitudo.com>.

Posted by Neels J Hofmeyr <ne...@elego.de>.
Daniel Näslund wrote:
> 2) Subversion should provide merge tools for dealing with xml or latex

* neels hints at 'svn merge --diff3-cmd <xml-diff-tool> -x "tool args" ...'

Re: Will subversion participate in Google Summer of Code 2010? - "merging XML or latex"

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@wandisco.com>.
Stefan Sperling wrote:
[...]
> > 2) Subversion should provide merge tools for dealing with xml or latex
> > XML and LaTeX both is not purely linebased. One item may span multiple
> > rows and using the usual merge algorithm often (I say often, though I've
> > never tried to merge xml or latex files) gives us the wrong result.
> > Since atleast xml-files are very common I'm suspecting there is a use
> > case for a merge tool.
>
> Subversion does not care about content.
> IMO This project should rather be about making an external merge tool
> that integrates nicely with svn.

A wide range of not-too-bad merge tools already exists.  We have some
basic support, and what we should be doing is making Subversion
integrate more nicely with them.  There's room for improvement in
several directions [1].  This group of enhancements needs a bit of
vision and planning before it's ready for a keen programmer to implement
it.

- Julian

[1] Off the top of my head: automatically invoke an appropriate merge
tool per content type (by user-defined rules or something); support for
merging properties as well as file content; easier customizing; ability
to merge files that Subversion currently thinks are "binary and
therefore not to be merged"; providing more informative file names to
the merge tool (rather than like "/tmp/temp123.tmp").

Re: Will subversion participate in Google Summer of Code 2010?

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:09:57PM +0100, Daniel Näslund wrote:
> 1) svn patch should use git diff format

+1
I'd totally mentor this.

> 2) Subversion should provide merge tools for dealing with xml or latex
> XML and LaTeX both is not purely linebased. One item may span multiple
> rows and using the usual merge algorithm often (I say often, though I've
> never tried to merge xml or latex files) gives us the wrong result.
> Since atleast xml-files are very common I'm suspecting there is a use
> case for a merge tool.

Subversion does not care about content.
IMO This project should rather be about making an external merge tool
that integrates nicely with svn.

> 3) svn patch queues
> --------------------
> Ok, maybe it needs a stable WC-NG but we're working hard on that and by
> summer there's a good chance we're there. I would really like to have
> this one.

+1 from me.
But I think Greg has ideas about offline commits which would make patch
queues superfluous. Also starting this with the current state of WC-NG
is probably a waste of time.

Stefan

Re: Will subversion participate in Google Summer of Code 2010?

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Daniel Näslund <da...@longitudo.com>.

Posted by Daniel Näslund <da...@longitudo.com>.
On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 08:07:05AM -0600, Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 5:11 AM, Daniel Näslund<da...@longitudo.com>  wrote:
>> Google Summer of Code is on for 2010 [1]. Is there any interest in
>> participating this year? If so, I've found that the mentoring
>> application deadline is 12 march. [2]

>> Given the short amount of time to deadline (18 days) and the absence
>> of discussions on fitting tasks for a GSoC project I assume the
>> Subversion community is not interrested in participating this year. Too
>> bad if that's the case!

> We haven't made a concrete decision one way or another, so don't be
> disappointed quite yet.  It actually helps to know that people are
> interested in participating, 'cause that will motivate us to
> participate.

Oki. Since I'm interrested in participating I'll try some more
suggestions on fitting work for a GSoC student. Here's my ideas:

1) svn patch should use git diff format
svn patch is starting to get stable. It would be a nice thing to make it
able to handle the git diff format, and of course make 'svn diff' able
to produce git diffs. In the first place I'm considering to make it able
to handle tree changes but who knows, maybe it's possible to make it
able to deal with svn propty diffs too? I'm intending to work on the
tree changes part during spring but there may be enough work to last
during the summer too.

In  'notes/svnpatch/svnpatch-git.txt' we have a summary of how the
git diff format works.

2) Subversion should provide merge tools for dealing with xml or latex
XML and LaTeX both is not purely linebased. One item may span multiple
rows and using the usual merge algorithm often (I say often, though I've
never tried to merge xml or latex files) gives us the wrong result.
Since atleast xml-files are very common I'm suspecting there is a use
case for a merge tool.

3) svn patch queues
--------------------
Ok, maybe it needs a stable WC-NG but we're working hard on that and by
summer there's a good chance we're there. I would really like to have
this one.

Bert digged up the old tasks list for me:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/branches/1.6.x/www/tasks.html

I checked the issues the tasks refer to and most seems to be open. Both
my first and second suggestion touches on things proposed on that page.
It's hard to come up with good tasks! All the tasks in the links sounds
fun to me. Let's hope we think it's a good idea to participate.

12 days to the deadline.

*dannas is poking gently :)

Daniel

Re: Will subversion participate in Google Summer of Code 2010?

Posted by Daniel Näslund <da...@longitudo.com>.

Posted by Azhagu Selvan <se...@gmail.com>.
On Wednesday 24 February 2010 12:50 AM, David Glasser wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 6:07 AM, Hyrum K. Wright
> <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>  wrote:
>
>> On Feb 23, 2010, at 7:57 AM, Azhagu Selvan wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am a n00b hacker who uses svn for my major collaborative works[1].
>>> I would like to contribute back to the svn community. It would be more
>>> lovely if my contribution starts in GSoC. Actually I was planning to apply
>>> as a student developer for Subversion in GSoC'10. But was a bit disappointed
>>> that subversion may not participate in GSoC this year.
>>>
>> We haven't made a concrete decision one way or another, so don't be disappointed quite yet.  It actually helps to know that people are interested in participating, 'cause that will motivate us to participate.
>>

> Additionally, if you happen to already have specific ideas for a
> Subversion task you'd be interested in working on for GSoC, let us
> know!  While that's certainly not required, it certainly doesn't hurt.
>   There may be some great, summer-sized ideas that real users like you
> need that we wouldn't have necessarily thought of ourselves.
>
> --dave

Hi,

I don't have any such ideas right now. Will let you people know when I
got one such.
Besides that I am ready to learn and hack on any project idea proposed
by svn community :)

Regards,

Azhagu Selvan,SP

Re: Will subversion participate in Google Summer of Code 2010?

Posted by David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net>.

--
glasser@davidglasser.net | langtonlabs.org | flickr.com/photos/glasser/

Re: Will subversion participate in Google Summer of Code 2010?

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
On Feb 23, 2010, at 7:57 AM, Azhagu Selvan wrote:

> On Monday 22 February 2010 08:56 PM, Daniel Näslund wrote:

>>> Yes.  There's an ASF committee called "comdev"
>>> (http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html) that manages our participation
>>> in GSoC.  They will do the application on the foundation's behalf and
>>> post info to all PMCs about how to participate on the ASF end if a
>>> project is interested.  ComDev will also manage the ranking process -
>>> when you have 70+ projects interested in participating even when you
>>> have 30-40 slots, the review process can get a bit "heated"
>>> internally.  (If you're interested in tracking this, you might want to
>>> join dev@community.apache.org.)
>>>
>> Ok. Given the short amount of time to deadline (18 days) and the absence
>> of discussions on fitting tasks for a GSoC project I assume the
>> Subversion community is not interrested in participating this year. Too
>> bad if that's the case!
>>

> Hi all,
>
> I am a n00b hacker who uses svn for my major collaborative works[1].
> I would like to contribute back to the svn community. It would be more
> lovely if my contribution starts in GSoC. Actually I was planning to apply
> as a student developer for Subversion in GSoC'10. But was a bit disappointed
> that subversion may not participate in GSoC this year.

We haven't made a concrete decision one way or another, so don't be disappointed quite yet.  It actually helps to know that people are interested in participating, 'cause that will motivate us to participate.

-Hyrum

Re: Will subversion participate in Google Summer of Code 2010?

Posted by Azhagu Selvan <se...@gmail.com>.
On Monday 22 February 2010 08:56 PM, Daniel Näslund wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 07:28:13AM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 5:11 AM, Daniel Näslund<da...@longitudo.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Google Summer of Code is on for 2010 [1]. Is there any interest in
>>> participating this year? If so, I've found that the mentoring
>>> application deadline is 12 march. [2]
>>>
>>> Since we're part of ASF, perhaps an application should go
>>> through them? [3]
>>>
>> Yes.  There's an ASF committee called "comdev"
>> (http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html) that manages our participation
>> in GSoC.  They will do the application on the foundation's behalf and
>> post info to all PMCs about how to participate on the ASF end if a
>> project is interested.  ComDev will also manage the ranking process -
>> when you have 70+ projects interested in participating even when you
>> have 30-40 slots, the review process can get a bit "heated"
>> internally.  (If you're interested in tracking this, you might want to
>> join dev@community.apache.org.)
>>
> Ok. Given the short amount of time to deadline (18 days) and the absence
> of discussions on fitting tasks for a GSoC project I assume the
> Subversion community is not interrested in participating this year. Too
> bad if that's the case!

Hi all,

I am a n00b hacker who uses svn for my major collaborative works[1].
I would like to contribute back to the svn community. It would be more
lovely if my contribution starts in GSoC. Actually I was planning to apply
as a student developer for Subversion in GSoC'10. But was a bit disappointed
that subversion may not participate in GSoC this year.

It would be really nice if the community replies with a positive answer!

Regards,

Azhagu Selvan,SP

[1] : Inspired by Senthil Kumaran (http://www.stylesen.org) :)

Re: Will subversion participate in Google Summer of Code 2010?

Posted by Azhagu Selvan <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Näslund <da...@longitudo.com>.

Posted by Daniel Näslund <da...@longitudo.com>.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Neels J Hofmeyr <ne...@elego.de>.
Daniel Näslund wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Google Summer of Code is on for 2010 [1]. Is there any interest in
> participating this year? If so, I've found that the mentoring
> application deadline is 12 march. [2]
>
> Since we're part of ASF, perhaps an application should go
> through them? [3]
>
> I've tried locating the GSoC ideas pages for 2009 but it seems to have
> got lost in the move to apache.org. My own suggestions (given what I
> know of subversion so far) would be:
>
> Implementing a tree conflict resolver
> ---------------------------------------
> This task probably should have editor-v2 available. Perhaps the task
> could be defined as doing some vital parts of editor-v2 and continue
> with a TC resolver once finished with the editor. And yes, I have no
> notion whatsoever about the time frame required for the editor-work.
>
> Replacing externals with something similar of ClearCases views
> I overheard a conversation between Senthil and Bert on IRC where Bert
> mentioned the views concept of ClearCase. [4] I want something like
> externals but without the edge cases of file externals and with the
> externals nodes being more like regular nodes.

Hm, these above sound like they are way too complex for a wee GSoC hacker.
Adjusting to the Subversion Community's ways and preferences takes a lot of
time in the beginning. Let alone getting to know the code base...

> Patch queues
> --------------
> Some kind of quilt functionality for local storage of work-in-progress.
> Probably needs to have most the WC-NG parts stable.

I expect this to be a lot nicer when our patch format (svn diff/svn patch)
does support explicit path changes. Maybe a GSoC project could be to
implement such unidiff extensions? Or are you doing that already?

> The views concept and TC resolver was in the GSoC 2009 ideas page IIRC.

Really... I believe they are too hard.

> If the subversion community is interested in participating, I'm looking
> forward to compete in a friendly fashion for one of the Student
> Developer positions.

Oh, you mean, that *you* would like to be the GSoC hacker to take on these
things, tutored by us? Heh, I expected you to be on the tutor side, maybe ;)
That changes a lot, but still, one man-summer is a short time for coding.

(From Justin's mail, I silently expect other ASF projects to be more eager
than us to have GSoC students and that they will frantically devour the
available slots before we made up our mind -- right?)

~Neels

(BTW, dannas, you don't want to be Cc'd explicitly when we reply to your
mails, right?)