Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Jonathan Chawke <j_...@hotmail.com> on 2001/05/03 13:41:01 UTC

SOAP Users's FAQ

Hello,

I think that communication of information to the users of Apache-SOAP
(especially new users) is less than ideal.

- People keep asking the same questions on this mailing list
- The FAQ on http://xml.apache.org/soap/faqs.html is pretty useless (it only
contains one entry)
- The response returned by sending a mail to 'soap-user-faq@xml.apache.org'
is "None available yet."

We need a SOAP User's FAQ right now!

The FAQ should be in HTML form on http://xml.apache.org/soap/faqs.html and
in text form on soap-user-faq@xml.apache.org.

I've made a start. I have trawled through the archives looking for the most
common questions.

I have written a little database application which stores these questions
(and the answers obviously!), and can write the data out to HTML and/or
Text. I've attached the text and html versions here.

This work also requires
(a) Buy-in from the folks who run this mailing list (so that the faq is
available via the soap-user-faq auto-responder)
(b) Buy-in from the folks who run the Apache-SOAP website (so that the faq
goes up on it).
(c) Input from peers who can validate the FAQ content to ensure that it is
accurate.
(d) Input from peers who can write tutorials (like the SOAP+SSL document) to
deal with more specific issues in greater detail.

This took a while to put together (and this is just the beginning!), but I
really think its worth the effort and should save a lot of people a lot of
trouble.

Let me know what you think.
I've probably just opened a great big can of worms.
8-)
Jonathan.

Re: SOAP Users's FAQ

Posted by Pablo <pa...@eneris.com>.
On 03 May 2001 10:04:18 -0700, William Bathurst wrote:
> Did you use NT or Linux?  I saw the download for orion but I wasn't sure
> which

Oops, I forgot about it! It's linux! :) (Added to doc now!)

> platform it was for.  As far as your authentication, make sure you have your
> certificates setup correctly.  I use www.thawte.com for my free test certs.

Me too! and I added the Root Test CA to my cacerts in both the client
and the server. Have you got client authentication? if so, could you
please send me your server config file? Doesn't matter which server
you're using really, any help will do!

thanks!

        Pablo

Re: SOAP Users's FAQ

Posted by Pablo <pa...@eneris.com>.

Re: SOAP Users's FAQ

Posted by William Bathurst <wb...@us.oracle.com>.

Re: SOAP Users's FAQ

Posted by David Wall <dw...@Yozons.com>.
> Btw, that problem with Xerces should be the number one in the faq!

If this is really a Xerces bug, shouldn't they pull 1.3.1 out?  Or is it
really okay, but creating a conflict with SOAP 1.1?

David

Re: SOAP Users's FAQ

Posted by David Wall <dw...@Yozons.com>.

Re: SOAP Users's FAQ

Posted by William Bathurst <wb...@us.oracle.com>.

Re: SOAP Users's FAQ

Posted by Pablo <pa...@eneris.com>.
Hi,

it is obviously necessary. I think the worst about Apache Soap is the
lack of documentation so that faq would be great.

I can offer little help as I'm quite busy now, but I've written a brief
tutorial about begginning programing with Apache Soap that could help.
You can use the following link: http://www.eneris.com/~pablo/ I hope I
can soon add information about using SSL but I'm having trouble with
client authentication and I haven't got any answers about the problem
yet.

Btw, that problem with Xerces should be the number one in the faq!

regards,

Pablo

Re: SOAP Users's FAQ

Posted by Pablo <pa...@eneris.com>.