Posted to log4php-dev@logging.apache.org by Christian Hammers <ch...@lathspell.de> on 2009/10/30 00:17:39 UTC

Last remarks regarding packages

Hi

The hopefully last discussion about packaging issues :) But I fear the
incubator reviewer would bring them up anyway:

1. The source .tar.gz and .zip contain the site/coverage-report/
   directory. While including the generated phpdoc could be considered
   useful for people who just want to use log4php and not rebuild it,
   the coverage report seems pretty useless to me.

2. Should we distribute the apidocs alongside the .tar.gz even if
   they could be generated by the user using maven?

3. The package-config.php and package.php are not included in
   the .tar.gz and .zip. IIRC because they are not needed by the
   endusers but it just came to my mind that this means that the
   user cannot generate the phpdoc using "mvn site" as this would fail
   due to the missing files. Ok, maybe phpdoc is generated before the
   pear package, I don't remember, but it looks a bit unprofessional if
   we distribute the pom.xml but know that it will fail with errors, or?

4. The creation of the superfluous empty .jar will not annoy any of
   the reviewers, or? I have no idea how to turn it off and it would
   probably require an ant task to simply remove it.

bye,

-christian-

Re: Last remarks regarding packages

Posted by Christian Hammers <ch...@lathspell.de>.
Hallo

Am Sun, 1 Nov 2009 20:22:16 +1000
schrieb "Gavin" <ga...@16degrees.com.au>:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Sorry, been a bit busy of late.
>
> Regarding Pear packaging, your intending to make this available via
> the main PEAR repository? (I investigated our own PEAR distribution
> but is not possible at this time).

I don't think that they will let us in as PEAR has their own licence
and code style policies. In addition they already have their PEAR_Log
and IIRC don't want more than one package for a task.
But we should keep it in mind, maybe they would accept it or we can
make some facade to be compatible.

> Regarding the new mvn targets, do you want me to extend buildbot to
> perform some more tests to include building these targets?

Currently "mvn site assembly:assembly" can be used to build all
packages. Is buildbot able to check if the two -src.tar.gz/zip and the
-pear.tgz have been built and e.g. are at least 50kb big or similar?

> I can, also get it to deploy to snapshots to Nexus repository staging
> area (repository.apache.org) , so you want me to do that?

Sounds like it couldn't hurt. The relevant files are the above mentioned

	target/Apache_log4php-2.0.0incubating-pear.tgz
	target/apache-log4php-2.0.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT-src.tar.gz
	target/apache-log4php-2.0.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT-src.zip

> Anything else I can do?

Of course! Buildbot is still broken due to the problems with
the pdo-sqlite module:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-2294
If I can be of help, contact me via Jabber: lathspell@jabber.gondor.com

> If we can get something ready for incubator to look at as a
> pre-release snapshot we can perhaps get some early feedback before
> trying it for real.
>
> Note also, that any release whilst under the incubator needs to have
> something like -incubating.snapshot in the name.

The PEAR package has an internal flag stabilit=alpha for snapshots but
I see if I can somehow get the snapshot into the file name as well.

bye,

-christian-

Posted by Gavin <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.
Hi Guys,