Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> on 2013/09/02 20:43:03 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Should we refactor the Wicket viewer to use Bootstrap?

Hi folks,

A few days back [1] Ezequiel asked a question about how to style the CSS in
Wicket viewer, and Oscar provided a few pointers (thanks for that, by the
way...).  Even so, my suspicion is that restyling the look and feel of the
whole app is a lot more work than it ought to.

At the same time, in the recent work I did on dynamic layouts [2,3,4,5], I
introduced a dependency on the Bootstrap library [6], just for the grid
layout.

But, it seems to me that we could probably refactor the Wicket viewer to
adopt all of the Bootstrap components.  Given that Bootstrap supports LESS,
a custom skin could be implemented just by using Bootstrap's customization
page [8].  Or, there are lots of pre-built themes out there eg [9,10].

So, what do people think?  Is this a piece of work worth doing?  (And,
would anyone be interested in helping out if so... :-)

Cheers
Dan

[1] http://markmail.org/message/tdidddjuher6yqac
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ISIS-468
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ISIS-469
[4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ISIS-470
[5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ISIS-475
[6] http://getbootstrap.com/
[7] http://getbootstrap.com/css/#grid
[8] http://getbootstrap.com/customize/
[9] http://bootswatch.com/
[10] https://wrapbootstrap.com/

Re: [DISCUSSION] Should we refactor the Wicket viewer to use Bootstrap?

Posted by GESCONSULTOR - Óscar Bou <o....@gesconsultor.com>.
Hi to all.

Dan, thanks for the input on the schedule.

So we will concentrate on our current release with our custom viewer.

If further help needed on those dates, we can contribute for sure.

Thanks,

Oscar

El 05/09/2013, a las 18:28, Bhargav Golla <bh...@gmail.com> escribió:

> Your plan looks good. Will look forward to working on it after GSoC.
>
> Bhargav Golla
> Developer. Freelancer.
> B.E (Hons.) Computer Science
> BITS-Pilani
> Github <http://www.github.com/bhargavgolla> |
> LinkedIN<http://www.linkedin.com/in/bhargavgolla>
> | Website <http://www.bhargavgolla.com/>
>

> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 7:42 PM, Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>wrote:
>
>> Hi Bhargav,
>> Thanks for the offer.  Yeah, the priority is medium-ish, so could well fit
>> in once GSoC is done.  I'll do some spikes to see how the work might break
>> out.
>>
>> Right now my thoughts are:
>> 1. strip the app back to have no CSS, ie work on the bare "DOM"
>> 2. add in the full bootstrap CSS/JS.
>> 3. work through the Wicket components one by one, reworking to use
>> bootstrap.  The integration that Cuneyt flagged [1] looks promising.  Some
>> of those more challenging refactorings would be to remove wicket-select2
>> (for dropdown/choices/autocomplete) and use their type-ahead, the date/time
>> picker (I do like the one we have currently), the menu rendering, and the
>> table sorting.  Hopefully the others will be easier, and might be areas
>> where you could contribute.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Dan
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/l0rdn1kk0n/wicket-bootstrap
>>

>> On 3 September 2013 18:59, Bhargav Golla <bh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If we are concentrating on viewers, it would definitely be a good idea to
>>> incorporate Bootstrap into Wicket Viewer. If we the priority of this is
>> not
>>> very high, I can offer to take it sometime post GSoC along with some help
>>> with Bootstrap.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Bhargav Golla
>>> Developer. Freelancer.
>>> B.E (Hons.) Computer Science

Posted by Bhargav Golla <bh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
Hi Bhargav,

Posted by Bhargav Golla <bh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
HI Oscar,
I doubt very much that this would be done in time for then.  I need to
spend some time stabilizing Estatio for our own forthcoming release.

I do hope to spend some time spiking this over the next couple of weeks.
 And there is definitely a chance it would be implemented by year end...
but not by end of Oct.

Cheers
Dan

Posted by Ezequiel Celiz <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dan

Good to hear about the interest.
As Oscar said, I think the project is going up, if you implement a more
flexible way to customize the viewer.

By the way, I visited the links you suggested and I found a very good
option to use Bootstrap.

The themes look very cute ;-)

Please tell us when you're starting with the idea, to help where we can.

regards

Posted by GESCONSULTOR - Óscar Bou <o....@gesconsultor.com>.
Hi, Dan.

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.