Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by ma...@redestb.es on 2000/12/05 22:16:21 UTC

Performance with Apache::Resource

Hi,

We have installed Apache::Resource working of course with BSD::Resource and
this combination is running fine.

Now, we want to improve the performance of our server and would like to know
the best values for Apache::Resource module, enabling of disabling some
commands at our httpd.conf too.

Our server is running at a shared-dedicated server with a Pentium III 700
Mhz and a quote of CPU of 8%. (This is a new server formula today. We have
all features of a dedicated server but shared with 14 websites and with a
specific CPU and Ram quote)

We have 64 Mb of Ram memory and a maximum swap file capacity of 192 Mb
running at Seagate Cheetah 10.000 rpm Ultra166 Scsi.

Software installed: Linux Red Hat 6.2, with Apache 1.3.9 (Unix), Mod_perl 1.24,
and Perl 5.005_03, suEXEC and Make 3.79

Our values are:

At Apache::Resource

sub DEFAULT_RLIMIT_DATA  () { 64 } #data (memory) size in MB
sub DEFAULT_RLIMIT_AS    () { 64 } #address space (memory) size in MB
sub DEFAULT_RLIMIT_CPU   () { 60*6 } #cpu time in seconds
sub DEFAULT_RLIMIT_CORE  () { 0  } #core file size (MB)
sub DEFAULT_RLIMIT_RSS   () { 16 } #resident set size (MB)
sub DEFAULT_RLIMIT_FSIZE () { 10 } #file size  (MB)
sub DEFAULT_RLIMIT_STACK () { 20 } #stack size (MB)

PerlModule Apache::Resource

PerlSetEnv PERL_RLIMIT_DATA 32
PerlSetEnv PERL_RLIMIT_AS 32
PerlSetEnv PERL_RLIMIT_CPU 20

PerlChildInitHandler Apache::Resource

And a brief of our httpd.conf file:

- Timeout 300
- KeepAlive On
- MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
- KeepAliveTimeout 7
- MinSpareServers 5
- MaxSpareServers 10
- StartServers 10
- MaxClients 90
- MaxRequestsPerChild 5
- LoadModule perl_module        modules/libperl.so
- AddModule mod_perl.c

<IfModule mod_perl.c>
  Alias /perl/ /home/httpd/perl/
  <Location /perl>
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler Apache::Registry
    PerlSendHeader On
    Options +ExecCGI
  </Location>
</IfModule>

- #PerlSetEnv PERL_RLIMIT_DEFAULTS On
(NOTE: We had to comment that out because it was causing a memory shortage in httpd.)
- PerlModule Apache::Resource
- PerlChildInitHandler Apache::Resource

Statistics:

We have disabled the access_log file to improve the performance because we
have another tools to see our traffic. Anyway, maybe if we improve the values
at Apache::Resource and httpd.conf we can enable it again.

We have a traffic of 3,100 users daily with 10 minutes of staying (in average).

Number of CGIs used every day: 11,209. Transferred: 182 Mb (only CGIs)
Bandwidth: 1 GB daily.

We would like to received some advices to configure the maximum performance
with this class of server, because Apache::Resource has saved the life of our
site, and now, we would like to improve a little more its features.

Thank you very much in advance and thank you very much to Apache project,
a brilliance of freedom at Internet.

Miguel Angel Perez Garcia
3Dup.com - The Computer Graphics Portal