Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com> on 2017/11/30 19:41:50 UTC

Status of Apache NetBeans (incubating) 9.0 Beta

Hi all,

Status for 9.0 Beta is looking really good -- the Rat report is almost down
to 0:

https://builds.apache.org/job/incubator-netbeans-release/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/rat-java-temp/nbbuild/build/rat-report.txt

And pretty much all the issues are resolved or closed in some way:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+9.0+Beta

Bearing in mind that incubator releases do not need to be perfect, so long
as their imperfections are known and documented, what is there left to be
done?

We're close to having an incubation release of a Java 9.0 NetBeans IDE --
though Beta, because after that we'll have the NetCAT program (and during
that process we could also fix a few other things as well that we may want
to skip over for the Beta).

Thanks,

Gj

Re: Status of Apache NetBeans (incubating) 9.0 Beta

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Cool, that makes sense, I was just curious about its progress.

John

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Fair question.

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Readd Browser Icons (PR-251) (was: Re: AW: Status of Apache NetBeans (incubating) 9.0 Beta)

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Excellent.

Gj

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi all,

Posted by Lars Bruun-Hansen <lb...@gmail.com>.
I've taken up Neil's suggestion and opened LEGAL-353 ("Clarify fair use of
trademarked logos"). The older issue, LEGAL-343, was poorly worded and is
now closed. Feel free to edit LEGAL-353 if you feel the wording can be
better.

I agree with Matthias' suggestion to move forward wrt browser icons. Even
though IANAL, I think the use of browser logos should be uncontroversial.

Related:
There are a few other trademarked logos that used to be in NetBeans, but
that have also been replaced by a dummy. These are

- The official Java logo.  (in Start page, we don't need it and there are
pretty strict guidelines for its usage, so we do not re-instate)
- Oracle Corp logo (also in Start page, we don't need it and the NetBeans
no longer has any direct affiliation with Oracle, so we do not re-instate)

I'll open PR on Start Page (welcome module) so that it doesn't look stupid.
Really minor.

But all in all I think it is pretty easy to stay clear of use of
trademarked logos other than for browsers.

/Lars

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hey all,

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
PR 251 means readding the existing Icons, instead of the NB Icon placeholder. PR 289 is the one w/o having Icons.
I prefer 251 too.

Gesendet von Mail für Windows 10

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 12:00 PM Geertjan Wielenga <
geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com> wrote:

> To be honest, I don't understand the difference between PR251 and PR289 and
> when I read the comments at the end of PR289, it seems like Neil and
> Matthias are both saying we should merge PR251, not PR289.

PR251 is the original icons, not the placeholders, I believe.

There are two concerns with the original artwork - trademarks and copyright.

Trademarks should be fine under fair-use according to the sources Matthias
linked to (also my previous understanding), and I presume this is how they
were used before?!  Our mentors did request earlier (April I think) that we
clarify trademark fair-use under Apache with legal.

Copyright-wise, this affects the actual artwork, and why I asked about
provenance.  Ideally they'd have been kept in/with the donation, but I

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Lars Bruun-Hansen <lb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.