Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Chris Newland <ch...@emorphia.com> on 2002/01/10 20:08:44 UTC

wap serializer name change?

Hi All,

Very low priority, but shouldn't the name for the WML serializer be 'wml' and
not 'wap'?

   <map:serializer name="wap"    mime-type="text/vnd.wap.wml"
src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.XMLSerializer">
    <doctype-public>-//WAPFORUM//DTD WML 1.1//EN</doctype-public>
    <doctype-system>http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/wml_1.1.xml</doctype-system>
    <encoding>ASCII</encoding>
    <omit-xml-declaration>yes</omit-xml-declaration>
   </map:serializer>

Each of the other serializers is named after the content type it produces
(HTML, VRML, XML ...), but WAP (wireless access protocol) is a transport and
not a content type?

E.g. WAP is to WML what HTTP is to HTML.

I can submit a 2 byte patch if you like ;)

Best Regards,

Chris

RE: wap serializer name change?

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Stefano Mazzocchi [mailto:stefano@apache.org]
>
> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
> > Not exactly... "wap" is just a name of component in the sample
> > sitemap.xmap. If you change this, you introduce backward
> > incompatibilities with _previous versions of the samples_, not with
> > cocoon itself - all applications would work as before.
>
> Ah, damn, you're right. Sorry people, this ADSL is so cool that I'm
> missing some sleep (I'm installing a bunch of stuff on Federico's
> machine in London) :)
>

> > > What do you guys think? anyway, is this really necessary?
> >
> > I would just rename it and make a note in changes.xml
>
> Yes, go for it.

Done

Vadim

Re: wap serializer name change?

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> > Anyway, it's back incompatible. So I'd suggest having *both*,
> deprecate
> > it and remove it on Cocoon 2.1 or later.
>
> Not exactly... "wap" is just a name of component in the sample
> sitemap.xmap. If you change this, you introduce backward
> incompatibilities with _previous versions of the samples_, not with
> cocoon itself - all applications would work as before.

Ah, damn, you're right. Sorry people, this ADSL is so cool that I'm
missing some sleep (I'm installing a bunch of stuff on Federico's
machine in London) :)

> > What do you guys think? anyway, is this really necessary?
>
> I would just rename it and make a note in changes.xml

Yes, go for it.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

RE: wap serializer name change?

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Stefano Mazzocchi [mailto:stefano@apache.org]
>
> Chris Newland wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Very low priority, but shouldn't the name for the WML serializer be
'wml'
> > and not 'wap'?
> >
> >    <map:serializer name="wap"    mime-type="text/vnd.wap.wml"
> > src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.XMLSerializer">
> >     <doctype-public>-//WAPFORUM//DTD WML 1.1//EN</doctype-public>

<doctype-system>http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/wml_1.1.xml</doctype-system>
> >     <encoding>ASCII</encoding>
> >     <omit-xml-declaration>yes</omit-xml-declaration>
> >    </map:serializer>
> >
> > Each of the other serializers is named after the content type it
produces
> > (HTML, VRML, XML ...), but WAP (wireless access protocol) is a
transport and
> > not a content type?
> >
> > E.g. WAP is to WML what HTTP is to HTML.
> >
> > I can submit a 2 byte patch if you like ;)
>
> You are right. I wrote this when almost nobody knew what WML was but
WAP

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Chris Newland wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Very low priority, but shouldn't the name for the WML serializer be 'wml' and
> not 'wap'?
>
>    <map:serializer name="wap"    mime-type="text/vnd.wap.wml"
> src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.XMLSerializer">
>     <doctype-public>-//WAPFORUM//DTD WML 1.1//EN</doctype-public>
>     <doctype-system>http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/wml_1.1.xml</doctype-system>
>     <encoding>ASCII</encoding>
>     <omit-xml-declaration>yes</omit-xml-declaration>
>    </map:serializer>
>
> Each of the other serializers is named after the content type it produces
> (HTML, VRML, XML ...), but WAP (wireless access protocol) is a transport and
> not a content type?

Hm, thats true...

> E.g. WAP is to WML what HTTP is to HTML.
>
> I can submit a 2 byte patch if you like ;)

Might break some installations... but I give my

+1

for consistency. (Although I'm sure it will be
a bit more than 2 bytes ;)
--
Torsten