Posted to dev@daffodil.apache.org by "Interrante, John A (GE Aerospace, US)" <Jo...@ge.com> on 2023/06/12 13:52:55 UTC

Vacation alert, interesting article on com-lihaoyi libraries

Hi devs,

I'm going on vacation tomorrow for 1 month.  Fellow committers, please step up to review and approve more pull requests than you usually do since I may not be able to review Apache Daffodil pull requests from contributors, Dependabot, and Scala Stewart for days (if at all).

I'll end with an article from today's Scala Times newsletter on com-lihaoyi libraries' design philosophy (executable pseudocode that's easy, boring, and fast).  We use os-lib in Daffodil already, BTW.  It's interesting reading.

John

com.lihaoyi Scala: Executable Pseudocode that's Easy, Boring, and Fast<http://www.lihaoyi.com/post/comlihaoyiScalaExecutablePseudocodethatsEasyBoringandFast.html>

This blog post will explore how the Scala libraries from the com.lihaoyi ecosystem allows the use of Scala as Executable Pseudocode, due to their unique design philosophy that stands out amongst the rest of the Scala ecosystem.
Li Haoyi (@li_haoyi)

Re: Vacation alert, interesting article on com-lihaoyi libraries

Posted by Mike Beckerle <mb...@apache.org>.
I am a huge fan of the lihaoyi SourceCode library.

One can get rid of all the redundancy in Junit tests for TDML for example
and have

@Test test_my_tdml_test_name(): Unit = runTest()

and that runTest() can use the SourceCode library to reliably get the
method name which can then be converted into the name of the test to search
for in the TDML file.

A quick few lines of code, and you generate the entire Junit file from the
TDML file, allowing you to still run the tests like JUnit, but nothing is
there to maintain code wise.

I've done this for DFDL schema projects I work on. I've not introduced it
into the Daffodil code base, but we should.

-mikeb