Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by JG Flowers <Je...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2010/02/04 23:03:46 UTC

How can I find out more about Tomcat embedded server. (The version in Grails Tomcat Plugin)

The following
http://n4.nabble.com/Where-do-I-look-for-server-xml-with-embedded-Tomcat-tt1461189.html#a1461748
thread  discusses the nut I've been trying to crack.
I've got novice exposure to configuring server.xml/config.xml files to get
JNDI JDBC datasources setup in the past with Tomcat 6.
I've noticed Damoder Chetty has written a book that will probably be my next
port of call. But if I can find a web based resource that would get me up to
speed with explaining the major classes and their usage/interaction it be
super.
Thanks.

Re: How can I find out more about Tomcat embedded server. (The version in Grails Tomcat Plugin)

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 04/02/2010 22:03, JG Flowers wrote:

> The following
> http://n4.nabble.com/Where-do-I-look-for-server-xml-with-embedded-Tomcat-tt1461189.html#a1461748
> thread  discusses the nut I've been trying to crack.
> I've got novice exposure to configuring server.xml/config.xml files to get
> JNDI JDBC datasources setup in the past with Tomcat 6.
> I've noticed Damoder Chetty has written a book that will probably be my next
> port of call. But if I can find a web based resource that would get me up to
> speed with explaining the major classes and their usage/interaction it be
> super.
> Thanks.

The short answer is that it is the org.apache.catalina.startup.Tomcat
class from Tomcat 7 ported to Tomcat 6.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/architecture/index.html may help.

The longer answer is that Grails uses a private fork of Tomcat for the
plug-in. I'll happily send you the details of that but I'll do it
off-list since that is getting rather off-topic for the Tomcat dev list.

On a similar note, general questions about how to do stuff with the
Tomcat class should be addressed to the users list.

Mark