Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Richard Bywater <ri...@xtra.co.nz> on 2004/05/21 05:55:36 UTC

Custom option for HTML taglibs

Hi,

I was just reading bug 1598 where Quande Ren suggested that we have an otherAttributes option for the HTML taglibs so that users can add their own tags if required.  I think this is a really good idea.

My questions/thoughts are:
1. Does anyone have a problem/see issues with this approach?
2. This would appear to solve a lot of trouble we have with users wanting non-HTML 4.01 spec attributes included in Struts
3. Is anyone looking at/has looked at this functionality?

>From my limited look through of the code it would appear to be a fairly simple change to make (and perhaps if no-one is currently looking at it I can - not straight away but in the near future - look at creating a patch that adds the required functionality).

But for now I guess the big question is my #1 above - Does anyone have a problem/see issues with this approach?  (I actually thing that "custom" might be a slightly better term for the new tag attribute).

Richard.

PS In looking at the code I also found that the Title and Alt tag attributes were being set in prepareStyles function.  Was this done to reduce the amount of work required to get it working as I would have thought that Title & Alt don't really belong in a Style-related function?

PPS Apologies if this has all been discussed before - I try and keep up with the dev-list but sometimes miss a few threads :)