Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Carlos Cruz <ca...@nbtbizcapital.com> on 2013/05/07 03:13:34 UTC

looking for group development input

Hi;

I'm looking for some input from developers who are used to developing Flex
apps with a group of developers. In the near future I would like to hire 2
or 3 Flex programmers to work on an existing enterprise ERP type of app.

In all probability these will be remote developers so I'm thinking of
setting up VMWare VM machines with an IDE, Tomcat server, etc so the
developer won't have to spend time with setup, is this a good approach?

Currently I'm using Flash Builder 4.6, I've looked at IntelliJ and FDT (I
find FDT a bit on the expensive side) for group development is there a
better solution?

Any suggestions for Project Management?

How to manage file versions and updates, I've been testing SVN and something
called OwnCloud any input?

Any suggested way to "loosely" supervise time spent on actually working on
the projects?

Any input, advice or references concerning managing group software
development, especially in regards to Flex would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Carlos

RE: looking for group development input

Posted by stephen at stephenjc <st...@stephenjc.com>.
Server 2012 in remote admin so it only supports 2 users at a time, fb=
flash builder.

Posted by stephen at stephenjc <st...@stephenjc.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I've worked remotely on many Flex projects over many years (since Flex 1.5).

> In all probability these will be remote developers so I'm thinking of
> setting up VMWare VM machines with an IDE, Tomcat server, etc so the
> developer won't have to spend time with setup, is this a good approach?
Assumes they have a very fast connection I'd tend toward let them having there own set up.  Also some Flex devs prefer working on macs rather than windows for instance.

> Currently I'm using Flash Builder 4.6, I've looked at IntelliJ and FDT (I
> find FDT a bit on the expensive side) for group development is there a
> better solution?
Those are the 3 main editors of choice for Flex development that I'm aware of in common use.

You can do everything by hand in a text editor and via the command line but each of those IDE have good productivity features that make development a lot faster.

> Any suggestions for Project Management?
I'm a fan of basecamp but there' s lots of other online PM tools/systems out there. Others I've use and liked include unfuddle and redmine.

Look at Software Craftsmanship and Agile methodologies and see if they are good fit for your project.

Also use JIRA or similar for reporting bugs.

> How to manage file versions and updates, I've been testing SVN and something
> called OwnCloud any input?
Use SVN or Git.  Pick whatever your developers are familiar with and keep it simple if possible. For online hosting I'd suggest github, bitbucket, or beanstalk.

> Any suggested way to "loosely" supervise time spent on actually working on
> the projects?
Daily or weekly time sheets? Make sure developers check in changes frequently (daily) and don't work in local branches too much, monitor checkins and JIRA and conduct code reviews.

> Any input, advice or references concerning managing group software
> development, especially in regards to Flex would be greatly appreciated!!
Nothing I can think off that's Flex specific. I'd read up on some the classics (if you don't know then) like the Mythical Man Month by Frederick Brooks, People Ware by Tom DeMarko and the Joel on Software blog has some great articles. The PMBOK (project managers book of knowledge) is also work a read although I found older versions of it more applicable to smaller projects.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: looking for group development input

Posted by Peter Ginneberge <p....@gmail.com>.
Look into something like Assembla for source control, time management, bug tickets, communication, etc..
https://www.assembla.com/home
https://www.assembla.com/workspaces?page=overview

regards,
Peter

Posted by dude <du...@atheist.com>.
> SCM
Do not use SVN. Use hg (aka Mercurial) or git.
You also might want to use something like RhodeCode if you need multiple
repositories and don't to pay for bitbucket/gitbub for private
repositories (and you WILL need multiple repositories once you've
shipped your software).

> Flash Builder 4.6, IntelliJ, FDT
If developers work remotely they usually have their IDE already set up
and know how to work with it, so don't waste time or money before you've
talked to them about their setup and prefered working environmnent.
If you still need to buy them I would go for for IntelliJ or FDT
(actually the latter, because Eclipse).

> VMWare VM machines with an IDE, Tomcat server, etc:
If you still REALLY need that you could use something like Vagrant +
Ansible.

> Project Management?
JIRA is quite popular.
We use Redmine over here, works great, OSS and is actively developed. It
also can keep track of the time spent for each ticket (keep in mind that
time-spent doesn't neccessarily correlate with the actual complexity of
task).
There is also a Mylyn-connector available, so developers can use it
within Eclipse.

> OwnCloud
Just do not use DropBox. :)
You might also need a groupware server like SOGo.

> else
Use tools like  like Jenkins for continuous delivery.

These are many questions and they highly depend on your needs, which
usually change over time. So just get started with a small setup with
some widely used tools.
As a guideline, our setup in short:
- FlashBuilder 4.6
- hg + RhodeCode