Posted to user@commons.apache.org by hrjk <ha...@zeniitti.net> on 2006/04/24 12:58:38 UTC

[VFS] Handling large / splitted Zip files

Hi.

Few questions regarding zip handling with VFS.

1.
I ran into problems when handling large zip files with VFS. The example
zip file was over 1,5Gb. At some point, following error occurs:
"java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space"

Does this relate to the caching issue described in
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/VfsCacheStrategy?

2.
Is there any way to handle splitted zip files with VFS? Could such feature
be implemented? I know that need for over 2Gb zip files is quite rare.
Still it's quite odd that I haven't been able to locate any Java library,
that could handle splitted zips.

Thanks for any help.

-hrjk

Re: [VFS] Handling large / splitted Zip files

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!
>> VFS uses javas zip implementation, I am aware that it is possible to
>> handle splitted zips with it.
>>

> This sounds great. How is it done with VFS? Trying to open splitted zip
> normally, an "invalid LOC header (bad signature)" is thrown.

Heaven, sorry, I meant "I am NOT aware ...." - sorry!

Ciao,
Mario

Re: [VFS] Handling large / splitted Zip files

Posted by hrjk <ha...@zeniitti.net>.
Hi.

>> 2.
>> Is there any way to handle splitted zip files with VFS? Could such
>> feature
>> be implemented? I know that need for over 2Gb zip files is quite rare.
>> Still it's quite odd that I haven't been able to locate any Java
>> library,
>> that could handle splitted zips.
>>
> VFS uses javas zip implementation, I am aware that it is possible to
> handle splitted zips with it.

This sounds great. How is it done with VFS? Trying to open splitted zip
normally, an "invalid LOC header (bad signature)" is thrown.

Thanks.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!
> 1.
> I ran into problems when handling large zip files with VFS. The example
> zip file was over 1,5Gb. At some point, following error occurs:
> "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space"
>
> Does this relate to the caching issue described in
> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/VfsCacheStrategy?

No, I dont think so.
Are there really many files in this zip?
Then adding -Xmx256M (or whatever) to your java command line will help.