Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Joe Acquisto-j4 <jo...@j4computers.com> on 2015/06/24 22:05:32 UTC

whitelisted email address got scanned and marked up

I am off site so cannot provide more details, but, basically, a smooth running SA with a white listed email address, that has worked fine, ie, being let thru
without muss or fuss, decided to scan one email from that address, anyway.   And of course it got marked up and marked as possible SPAM.

It's odd, as that particular one was sent about 12 minutes after one that came thru unscathed, as have several others, since white listing.   The emails were virtually identical containing a PDF attachment, revised in the second (marked) one, and some text changes indicating there were changes to the PDF.

Anything leap out?  Other than I should provide more details?

Re: whitelisted email address got scanned and marked up

Posted by Joe Acquisto-j4 <jo...@j4computers.com>.
>>> On 6/25/2015 at 7:15 PM, RW <rw...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 20:47:07 -0400
> Joe Acquisto-j4 wrote:
>
>> Thanks.  I don't feel comfortable doing pastebin with this particular
>> email.   Anyway, I found I left out underscore in whitelist_from.
>>
>> To continue my dumbo routine, how can I re-submit this email to
>> test?
>
> What you should be doing is running:
>
>  spamassassin --lint
>
> to detect syntax errors. For global configuration and rules you can
> run it as any unix user.

Actually, I used to do that.  Until I became complacent . . . err,
Until my data entry skills became infallible.   Ahem.

Re: whitelisted email address got scanned and marked up

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 6/24/2015 8:47 PM, Joe Acquisto-j4 wrote:
> Thanks. I don't feel comfortable doing pastebin with this particular
> email. Anyway, I found I left out underscore in whitelist_from.
That would do it ;-)

Regards,
KAM

Re: whitelisted email address got scanned and marked up

Posted by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Thu, 25 Jun 2015, Joe Acquisto-j4 wrote:

>> Am 25.06.2015 um 02:47 schrieb Joe Acquisto-j4:
>>> Thanks.  I don't feel comfortable doing pastebin with this particular email.
>>   Anyway, I found I left out underscore in whitelist_from.
>>>
>>> To continue my dumbo routine, how can I re-submit this email to test?  The
>> sender has closed shop for the day.  I thought there might be a way to
>> "resend" this on my own, by feeding the message into SA, but have come up dry
>> in searches.   So maybe I'm off track on that.    Par for the course lately.
>>
>> save the mail as eml-file and just spass it through spamc
>
> Thanks.    I could not get it to actually deliver the message, but I could see it noted that the address was in white list.  I took that as "good enough for now".

"spamc" is a tool to feed messages just into SA for scoring, not to feed them
into your mail system for delivery. Usually spamc (or its functional equivalent)
is used internally in your mail system for scoring messages and then some other
component of your mail system makes delivery/quarantine/discard decisions based
upon the spamc scoring.
So feeding a message directly into spamc lets you test a message for its SA
score with out messing with your mail processing/delivery system.

If you just want to see the message SA score use:
   spamc -R < message.eml

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: whitelisted email address got scanned and marked up

Posted by Joe Acquisto-j4 <jo...@j4computers.com>.

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Posted by Joe Acquisto-j4 <jo...@j4computers.com>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.

Posted by Joe Acquisto-j4 <jo...@j4computers.com>.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 24 Jun 2015, Joe Acquisto-j4 wrote:

> I am off site so cannot provide more details, but, basically, a smooth
> running SA with a white listed email address, that has worked fine, ie,
> being let thru without muss or fuss, decided to scan one email from that
> address, anyway.  And of course it got marked up and marked as possible
> SPAM.
>
> It's odd, as that particular one was sent about 12 minutes after one
> that came thru unscathed, as have several others, since white listing.
> The emails were virtually identical containing a PDF attachment, revised
> in the second (marked) one, and some text changes indicating there were
> changes to the PDF.
>
> Anything leap out?  Other than I should provide more details?

Your saying "got scanned" and "got marked up" suggests you were not
expecting the message to go through SA at all due to the whitelisting,
i.e. the whitelisting is at the glue level rather than within SA itself.
Is that the case?

   If you are "fighting for social justice," then you are defining
   yourself as someone who considers regular old everyday
   *equal* justice to be something you don't want.       -- GOF at TSM
  10 days until the 239th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence