Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com> on 2001/08/10 04:56:04 UTC

Quick suggestion before the new beta tag

To do my connector testing, I just installed the TC4 binary on a Win98 machine
(don't laugh :-)

Anyway, not being very DOS/Win knowledgable, it took me a few minutes to figure
out a slight problem with the Windoze startup logic that was causing it to
simply spit out "bad command or filename". DOS under Win98 does not like the:

start "Catalina"

.. bit, which I assume is what throws the new window under NT. Anyway, I
eventually figured out to run catalina.bat with "run" instead of "start" so
that it didn't use that prefix. How about a REM line in startup.bat that just
lets users know to replace the "start" param to "run" under Win9x? A file
comment should be a reasonably safe change to make just before a tag-n-
release ... then again, it is Windoze =)

- Christopher

Re: Quick suggestion before the new beta tag

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
> > Oh, ok.
> > It doesn't happen with NT/2k, right ?
>
> Just as a curiosity, try this one on your W2K (I was told it works on NT
> as well):
>
> 1. Open a command prompt.
> 2. Run a command, that runs for a little while (e.g. ping -t some host).
> 3. Press F7 and ENTER repeatedly and quickly while the command runs.
>
> I wouldn't recommend doing it on a production server as it's going to
> reboot the system even if you aren't logged on as an admin.
>
> Works for me on W2K Pro SP2 ;-)

Ok, I try with my Win2k SP 2, and it works perfectly ....
Sigh ....

Remy

Re: Quick suggestion before the new beta tag

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@binarix.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Oh, ok.
> It doesn't happen with NT/2k, right ?

Just as a curiosity, try this one on your W2K (I was told it works on NT
as well):

1. Open a command prompt.
2. Run a command, that runs for a little while (e.g. ping -t some host).
3. Press F7 and ENTER repeatedly and quickly while the command runs.

I wouldn't recommend doing it on a production server as it's going to
reboot the system even if you aren't logged on as an admin.

Works for me on W2K Pro SP2 ;-)

Bojan

Re: Quick suggestion before the new beta tag

Posted by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>.
Quoting Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>:

> I tried that with my server running on my laptop, and I got a 404. So
> I think it's ok.

Is that NT or Win2K?

Re: Quick suggestion before the new beta tag

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Amy Roh <am...@apache.org>.
It is verified that Win2K is not subject to the security vulnerability.

Amy

Posted by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>.
Quoting "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>:

> I haven't tested it myself, but the original reporter said that he
> suspected it *would* fail on NT.
>
> You can try it for yourself on Win2K with the following URL:
>
>   http://localhost:8080/.../
>
> If you get a directory listing of the %CATALINA_HOME%\webapps
> directory, then you are subject to the same security vulnerability and should
> upgrade.  I'd like to know if it's OK under W2K, though, in order to say
> the right thing in the announcement email.

I have the current TC4 beta installed on both an NT & and Win2k machine :-)

... at work :-(

I'll test them out first thing in the morning, if no one has gotten a chance to
verify either or both by then (8:30am mountain).

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Remy Maucherat wrote:

> > Sounds *very* similar to mine (original Win98, Sun JDK 1.3.0_02 although I
> > don't think that matters if it's not even executing the startup script
> > correctly).
> >
> > I've got the usual config.sys entry to increase environment variable
> > space:
> >
> >   shell=c:\command.com c:\ /e:4096 /p
> >
> > but Tomcat 4 is *much* less sensitive to this than 3.x was.
> >
> > Grumble grumble ... Win98 is also the reason for tonight's release in the
> > first place .. the stupid OS interprets "/....../" type paths as the same
> > as an equivalent number of "/../../.." entries (one level per extra dot
> > beyond the first two).
>
> Oh, ok.
> It doesn't happen with NT/2k, right ?

I haven't tested it myself, but the original reporter said that he
suspected it *would* fail on NT.

You can try it for yourself on Win2K with the following URL:

  http://localhost:8080/.../

If you get a directory listing of the %CATALINA_HOME%\webapps directory,
then you are subject to the same security vulnerability and should
upgrade.  I'd like to know if it's OK under W2K, though, in order to say
the right thing in the announcement email.

> Remy

Craig

Re: Quick suggestion before the new beta tag

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>.
Quoting "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>:

> Sheesh ... the only thing that catalina.bat puts on your CLASSPATH is
> %CATALINA_HOME%\bootstrap.jar and %JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar -- if
> Win98 can't even do that without a custom configuration setting, that's
> pretty lame.

Actually, it wasn't the memory issue at all. For whatever reason, it just
couldn't find the "start" command at all without the SHELL=c:\command.com
pointer. Now why it could seemingly find every other command I've ever typed
into this thing over the past few years, just not "start", is anyone's guess.

Man ... have I mentioned how much I absolutely LOVE having my all shell
commands in one or two monolithic files, rather than two nice clean /bin
& /usr/bin directories with each separate binary there for the checking?
Excellent design, this ... if you don't just *happen* to know where the "start"
command lives, I guess you're just shite out of luck. Oh well, enough whining
for tonight I suppose =)

> Yah, there's definitely times I wish that Java wasn't *quite* so
> write-once-run-anywhere ... :-).

ANYTHING on Win is "write-once-debug-anywhere" ;-)

Thanks again, chief!

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Christopher Cain wrote:

> Quoting "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>:
>
> [snip]
>
> > I've got the usual config.sys entry to increase environment variable
> > space:
> >
> >   shell=c:\command.com c:\ /e:4096 /p
>
> BINGO! That was it. My config.sys didn't have anything in it at all. Adding
> that line fixed it. Man ... there's an hour of my life I'll never get back.

Sheesh ... the only thing that catalina.bat puts on your CLASSPATH is
%CATALINA_HOME%\bootstrap.jar and %JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar -- if Win98
can't even do that without a custom configuration setting, that's pretty
lame.

> > Grumble grumble ... Win98 is also the reason for tonight's release in
> > the first place .. the stupid OS interprets "/....../" type paths as the
> > same as an equivalent number of "/../../.." entries (one level per extra
> > dot beyond the first two).
>
> Holy ... are you serious?!? LOL! That's genius!
>
> Personally, I'm gonna test this connector and then exit this Mickey Mouse OS
> poste haste. I *really* feel for you guys who have to actually support a
> complex app on this abomination. It should be tried at the Hague for crimes
> against humanity.

Yah, there's definitely times I wish that Java wasn't *quite* so
write-once-run-anywhere ... :-).

> Thanks to both you guys for the assist!
>

> - Christopher

Craig

Re: Quick suggestion before the new beta tag

Posted by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>.
Hey Rob ...

I think adding a quick note to RUNNING.txt would be definitely
worthwhile. Win98 out of the box apparently gives you a blank
config.sys, as I know for sure that I've never edited that file.

- Christopher

Posted by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com>.

Posted by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>.

Posted by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com>.
> The standard startup scripts work fine for me on my Win98 laptop ... the

ditto for me...

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.