Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com> on 2010/08/20 14:34:30 UTC

AppArmor affects testsuite speed on Linux

I was wondering why the regression tests were substantially slower on
my laptop running Ubuntu/Lucid compared to my desktop running
Debian/stable.  The laptop is newer and I was expecting it to be about
10% slower than the desktop, yet the laptop takes 17mins compared to
10mins for the desktop.  It turns out to be AppArmor, installed by
default in Ubuntu.  Disabling AppArmor reduces the laptop time to
12mins, a considerable speed increase.

It might be possible to selectively disable AppArmor, but I simply
disabled it globally: add "apparmor=0" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT
in /etc/default/grub, run update-grub and reboot.

--
Philip