Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2011/05/26 11:42:37 UTC

An rfc2397 filter for httpd (data URI scheme)

Hi all,

Would anyone object to adding a simple filter able to encode rfc2397
to httpd?

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2397
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_URI_scheme

Regards,
Graham

Re: An rfc2397 filter for httpd (data URI scheme)

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
On 04 Jun 2011, at 7:55 PM, Stefan Fritsch wrote:

>> Would anyone object to adding a simple filter able to encode
>> rfc2397 to httpd?
>>
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2397
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_URI_scheme
>
> I think this would be nice for mod_include. Did you have any other
> consumers in mind?

mod_include would be the most obvious consumer for a vanilla httpd
installation. I was asked to build one of these, and I think it is
small and simple enough to build it and donate it to httpd. Where we
want to use it is from php, a call to a restful URL that returns the
base64 data URL and gets included in the page, and means that our php
people don't have to reinvent rfc2397 wrapping over and over again.
You just drop in the filter on a view of your source images and you're
done.

I'm keen to see us offer more useful filters to our collection, it is
one of httpd's killer features.

Regards,
Graham

Re: An rfc2397 filter for httpd (data URI scheme)

Posted by Stefan Fritsch <sf...@sfritsch.de>.