Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com> on 2006/05/31 06:32:57 UTC

Graduation, and SoC

Hi,

It looks like I may finally get to play with Solr in some project of mine.  I checked the Wiki and the Incubator status page for Solr, and the whole thing looks quite "feature-complete".  Are there plans to graduate from the Incubator?  Any idea of the time frame for that?

I also saw the two student proposals for using Solr and Lucene to index Apache mailing lists.  That project should already have started.  Where is the code for that going to go?  I'd like to see how that's going.

Thanks,
Otis

Re: Graduation, and SoC

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Ah, that's too bad.  Is it too late for it now?

well, it's never too late for people to participate in an Open Source
project :) ... but according to the SoC website, it is too late to get
Google to sponser it.

-Hoss

Re: Graduation, and SoC

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.

Re: Graduation, and SoC

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: > Hence, i'm currently not pursuing any new features ... just trying to
: > improve javadocs so prospective committers have a could place to start
: > when submitting patches.

: I don't think you should do this.
: when i initially posted about doing this kind of thing (to encourage
: others to speak up) It was shot down by Yoav
: who quite rightly said that dampening a project is not the right way
: of getting a community started.

I know, I remember ... your argument didn't make a lot of sense to me at
the time, and then i warmed to it, and then i shrugged it off and then i
warmed to it again.

I don't think my focusing on javadocs at the moment is damping the project
... if there were any cool features i really wanted to actively pursue, i
would -- but at this point the lack of javadocs just kind of bugs me and
i'd like to remedy it.  Independent of anyone else working on Solr, just
the exercise of doing some of the simple interfaces last weekend made me
aware of some little things that suprised me, and i'd like to get those
things documented so they don't suprise me (or anyone else) again later.

The next big thing i'd really like to tackle is...
   http://wiki.apache.org/solr/MakeSolrMoreSelfService
...improving the javadocs is just a really good first step, with the added
bonus that it lowers the bar other people to start writing their own Solr
plugins, or tinkering with the internals (and hopefully submitting
patches).

-Hoss

Re: Graduation, and SoC

Posted by Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>.
On 01/06/2006, at 3:01 AM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : It looks like I may finally get to play with Solr in some project of
> : mine.  I checked the Wiki and the Incubator status page for Solr,
> and
> : the whole thing looks quite "feature-complete".  Are there plans to
> : graduate from the Incubator?  Any idea of the time frame for that?
>
> I don't really know a lot abou the incubator process ... but my
> understanding is that some people would like to see a more diverse
> set of
> committers (ie: more people who don't work at CNET) before discussing
> graduation.
>
> Hence, i'm currently not pursuing any new features ... just trying to
> improve javadocs so prospective committers have a could place to start
> when submitting patches.

my 2c's

Re: Graduation, and SoC