Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by D&J Gredler <dj...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/13 23:15:12 UTC

[announce] BeanForm 0.4

Hi all,

I have just released the latest version of BeanForm, a single-line POJO
editor component:

span jwcid="@bf:BeanForm" bean="ognl:pojo" save="listener:save"
delete="listener:delete"

The above line of code gets you a form that:

    * calls your page's save() method when submitted for save
    * calls your page's delete() method when submitted for delete
    * gives you a TextField for each of the bean's string and numerical
properties
    * gives you a Checkbox for each of the bean's boolean properties
    * gives you a DatePicker for each of the bean's date properties
    * automatically disables fields for read-only properties

If you are using Java Persistence API (EJB3) annotations and/or Hibernate
Validator annotations, the BeanForm component also:

    * infers validation strings for annotated properties
    * uses TextAreas instead of TextFields for annotated string properties
whose maximum length is over 255 characters

Some other important features:

    * EJB3 and Hibernate Validator support is optional and enabled
automatically at runtime only when appropriate
    * you can use a BeanForm inside a Form component, in which case the
BeanForm will not emit a second form tag
    * you can explicitly specify which properties to display, as well as
their validation strings
    * when specifying properties explicitly, they may be recursive ("
person.address.city.name", for example)
    * you can override the input components used to edit properties
    * support for canceling and refreshing forms
    * support for localization

Starting with version 0.4, BeanForm should work with both Tapestry 4.0 and
Tapestry 4.1.
I should also note that starting with version 0.4, BeanForm requires the
tapestry-prop library, available at
http://howardlewisship.com/repository/com/javaforge/tapestry/tapestry-prop/0.1.1/
.

Give it a whirl and let me know if you have any problems, comments or
suggestions.

Take care,

Daniel Gredler

----------------------------
Homepage: http://beanform.sourceforge.net/
Component Reference:
http://beanform.sourceforge.net/component-reference.html
Change History: http://beanform.sourceforge.net/changes-report.html
----------------------------

Re: [announce] BeanForm 0.4

Posted by D&J Gredler <dj...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, no.

It was semi-interesting trying to achieve compatibility with both 4.0 and
4.1... Maintaining compatibility with all 3 versions would probably be nigh
impossible.

Of course, nothing stops you from forking a Tap3 version :-)

Re: [announce] BeanForm 0.4

Posted by Barry Books <tr...@gmail.com>.
I think the current functionality is correct. If it's in a form it
works and if not it supplies it's own form. This makes is much easier
to put up a quick page to edit an object then go back later and make
things pretty. If this functionality is difficult to implement I think
it would be OK to have a form parameter that defaults to true. If you
set it to false then you have to provide your own form.

BTW: I think beanform and table are my most used tapestry components.

RE: [announce] BeanForm 0.4

Re: [announce] BeanForm 0.4

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.

Re: [announce] BeanForm 0.4

Posted by Geoff Callender <ge...@mac.com>.
Hi Daniel,

Have you thought about a "view" mode recently?  Instead of adding
more parameters, how about checking if save and delete have been
specified - if they haven't, then make all the properties output-only?

To me, the ability to get a bean displayed without fuss is as
valuable to me as being able to edit it.

Geoff

Re: [announce] BeanForm 0.4

Posted by D&J Gredler <dj...@gmail.com>.
I've been toying with the idea of removing the Form functionality (it
certainly would simplify some stuff!).

If I remember correctly, one of Jesse's initial reactions was also that it
should just require the user to wrap it in an external Form component.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this? Please speak up!

Re: [announce] BeanForm 0.4

Posted by Martin Strand <ma...@entcap.se>.

Re: [announce] BeanForm 0.4

Posted by D&J Gredler <dj...@gmail.com>.

Re: [announce] BeanForm 0.4

Posted by andyhot <an...@di.uoa.gr>.

Re: [announce] BeanForm 0.4

Posted by Martin Strand <ma...@entcap.se>.
Thanks.
I just added a few minor things, nothing big:
- "exclude" parameter to exclude properties rather than specifying which
ones should be included
- toggle between "edit" mode and "view" mode (view mode = no form
components)
- a few extra editor components and clever defaults specific to my app

One thing I thought of, it would be neat to be able to bind the "title"
attribute for all form components to "message:{propertyName}.title".

Martin

Re: [announce] BeanForm 0.4

Posted by D&J Gredler <dj...@gmail.com>.

Re: [announce] BeanForm 0.4