Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Dominik Stadler <ds...@ftisoft.at> on 2004/01/19 11:26:10 UTC

Problem validating files when using symbolic links

Hi,

I have a problem when I use Xerces to parse a local XML File with a DTD
in the same directory where both files are symbolic links to different
directories.

I have a file somefile.xml which contains a reference to the DTD mydtd.dtd

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE MSGSET SYSTEM "mydtd.dtd">

The two files in the current directory are actually symbolic links to
files in two different directories:

somefile.xml -> /tmp/directory1/somefile.xml
mydtd.dtd -> /tmp/directory2/mydtd.dtd

Now when I try to parse the XML file with Xerces, I get an error saying:

Checking XML-File ./somefile.xml for validity.
Fatal Error at
/tmp/directory1/somefile.xml,
line 2, char 39
Message: An exception occurred! Type:RuntimeException, Message:Could not open
DTD file
'/tmp/directory1/mydtd.dtd'
XML-File: ./somefile.xml was not valid!
Cannnot load input DTD or XML file

Should I enter a bug-report for this? Or is this the expected behavior of
Xerces? I currently think this is a bug, because I am not able to
parse the XML file in this case and I don't have a workaround except to
copy the two files into the same directory!?

BTW, We are using Xerces-c 2.1 on Solaris.

thx. Dominik