Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by gouthamrv <go...@yahoo.com> on 2010/10/16 00:06:45 UTC

How to externalize web page elements to make it configurable?

I am looking for some design patterns or best practices for configuring web
page fields.

My web page has a table, which is dynamically created by my API (Wicket).

Currently all the column names are hard coded in the java but I want to make
it externalizable that way I can add/remove/modify fields without modifying
java code.

Also I want to define each field type, valid value ranges etc.. in this
external file.

Are there any recommended approaches for this requirement?

Re: How to externalize web page elements to make it configurable?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Column names (at least with DefaultDataTable) are supplied via an
IModel<String> in the constructor of AbstractColumn, so you can supply
whatever you want.  Those values can come from a database, properties
files, etc.  You can use a ResourceModel to load the values from your
page/component's properties file.