Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/04 23:43:48 UTC

Source tree refactoring - TESTERS NEEDED

Heya,

I've just finished getting the refactoring of the source tree to be
more compliant with OTP source code layout. This is a pretty big move
so I'd like at least a couple other people to test this. If you have a
platform that is not OS X or Ubuntu, consider this an extra special
request so that we have confidence that I haven't broken one of the
uncommon platforms.

The repo for the scripts and patches are at [1]. You should be able to
get a fully refactored couch with:

    $ git clone git://github.com/davisp/couchdb-srcmv.git
    $ cd couchdb-srcmv
    $ ./srcmv.py

Once you have that, there's a couchdb.git subdirectory that is a
checkout of the entire source tree. Once there, you can build and test
couchdb as per normal. Also, I would appreciate anyone that goes the
extra effort and runs the install into a tmp location and runs the
Futon tests on the installed version to make sure everything still
passes.

Ideally I'd like to get this into trunk fairly shortly so that it has
as long as possible to sit in trunk before we cut 1.2.x. Let me know
if there are any comments or complaints on it.

Paul Davis

[1] https://github.com/davisp/couchdb-srcmv

Re: Source tree refactoring - TESTERS NEEDED

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Awesome.

Thanks for the report.

Posted by Gabriel Farrell <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Gabriel,

Posted by Gabriel Farrell <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Sebastian,

Should be fixed now. I just needed to rebase after Adam's last patch.

Paul

Posted by Sebastian Cohnen <se...@googlemail.com>.
Hey Paul,

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 11:43 PM, Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Heya,
>
> I've just finished getting the refactoring of the source tree to be
> more compliant with OTP source code layout. This is a pretty big move
> so I'd like at least a couple other people to test this. If you have a
> platform that is not OS X or Ubuntu, consider this an extra special
> request so that we have confidence that I haven't broken one of the
> uncommon platforms.
>
> The repo for the scripts and patches are at [1]. You should be able to
> get a fully refactored couch with:
>
>    $ git clone git://github.com/davisp/couchdb-srcmv.git
>    $ cd couchdb-srcmv
>    $ ./srcmv.py
>
> Once you have that, there's a couchdb.git subdirectory that is a
> checkout of the entire source tree. Once there, you can build and test
> couchdb as per normal. Also, I would appreciate anyone that goes the
> extra effort and runs the install into a tmp location and runs the
> Futon tests on the installed version to make sure everything still
> passes.
>
> Ideally I'd like to get this into trunk fairly shortly so that it has
> as long as possible to sit in trunk before we cut 1.2.x. Let me know
> if there are any comments or complaints on it.
>
> Paul Davis
>
> [1] https://github.com/davisp/couchdb-srcmv

+1

tested on osx, open & fbsd. Works.

- benoît

Re: Source tree refactoring - TESTERS NEEDED

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Dear Mr. Paul, I award you 100 internets for brave heroism. Best, Jan.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 5:35 PM, Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 7:23 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I use the generated git repo to formulate all of the various patches.
>>> There are git-save and git-restore commands for the srcmv.py script
>>> that work as expected by saving patches to the couchdb.patches
>>> directory.
>>>
>> Will try to work  with that then.
>>
>>> This is a scenario that is so distant I'm not going to spend time
>>> thinking about it right now. The current work would in no way allow
>>> for someone to do such things and it will be many many months before
>>> we have things to a point before we can entertain such notions.
>>>

>> It could be months or days. Depends on the the time each others can
>> put in it,  *if the process allows it*. This is imo a big priority, we
>> already see a lot of "bricolage"  (makeshift?) coming in the code.
>>
>> The goal I wished in the thread I launched was to use rebar and mix it
>> with configure (based on bigcouch work and patches like these one). I
>> don't see how the question is so distant seeing the result of these
>> patches. Neither I see why we shouldn't target this right now. Anyway,
>> maybe we can open a ticket and track progress in it ?
>
> I'm so confused. What process are you talking about? What breakage (I
> assume that's what you mean) do you see coming?

I'm speaking about a way to work with such changes. Patches are good,
but in the mean time vcs are here for a reason. A quick way to
test/merge etc. I'm just looking for a way to work with the patch
between different person. Trying to find a way to make the process
easy.

> You're describing two entirely different, completely unrelated use
> cases for rebar. One, which was part of the motivation for this patch
> set, was to integrate it into the build system. This is perfectly
> acceptable. It is why this patch set exists; to make using rebar to
> build CouchDB *possible*. After this very large patch set is committed
> then we can start working on supporting rebar.

Well I don't describe unrelated use, just describing what I wished,
and started thread, that wasn't closed nor really discussed. Now I
understand that the patches won't go as far as I would like.

> The situation you described earlier is a bajillion percent different.
> Perhaps in a distant future we will support using only various parts
> of CouchDB but this is a scenario so far distant that I am not going
> to spend any time considering it.

I understand that.

Re: Source tree refactoring - TESTERS NEEDED

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 6:32 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 12:01 AM, Paul Davis
> <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Well at one point we should merge, whatever is the solution. Do we
>>> really want final tests are done in trunk ?
>>>

>> How do you mean final tests?
>>

> For such a big changes, I can't imagine we do it directly in trunk. In
> my opinion it should live in a branch while we improve it?
>
> Also related question, if we split couch into modules, how  is it
> handle as an apache project?
>
> - benoît

Its not being done in trunk. The change is being prepared as a script
and set of patches that people can test independently which people
have been doing.

I'll reiterate my point once again that there's no way that *I* am
going to do this in an SVN branch. I just don't know SVN well enough,
and worse, my limited knowledge instills a huge amount of fear at
attempting such a feat. If there's someone that's more knowledgeable
with SVN than me that wants to drive this project, I would happily
turn it over to them.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
<pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The code to prepare these changes can be found here:
>
> https://github.com/davisp/couchdb-srcmv

Was expecting a full git repo ;) but will play with the one generated.

- benoît

Re: Source tree refactoring - TESTERS NEEDED

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.