Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Adrian Bartlett <ad...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/10 11:19:00 UTC

Documentation Contribution: Tomcat Container Managed Security

Hi All,

I documented the:  */jsp/security/protected/index.html*,  example that
comes bundled with Tomcat. It is documented using Sequence Diagrams and
Class Diagrams in the following two dashboards:
https://design.codelytics.io/?dashboardId=tomcat.cms.login_form
https://design.codelytics.io/?dashboardId=tomcat.cms.login

If you feel that this type of documentation is useful for Tomcat users and
developers. I can document other aspects of Tomcat, like Realms, Connection
Pooling, Valves etc.

Regards
Adrian.

Re: Documentation Contribution: Tomcat Container Managed Security

Posted by Adrian Bartlett <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

The documentation that is already been published, has been designed to add
value to your existing documentation.

The example in this section:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/realm-howto.html#Example_Application,
has been visualised in these dashboards:
https://design.codelytics.io/tomcat/security-login-form and
https://design.codelytics.io/tomcat/security-login.

The example in this section:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html#MySQL_DBCP_Example,
has been visualised with these dashboards:
https://design.codelytics.io/tomcat/jdbc-initialisation and
https://design.codelytics.io/tomcat/jdbc-query.

We could possibly show an image of the sequence diagram at the respective
locations, which when clicked, would open a new tab with the full
visualisation. The reader could explore the visualisation to get a more
though understanding of the topic at hand. Alternatively a more integrated
approach might be to open an embedded iFrame, and when the user had
finished, the user could close the iFrame and continue reading.

If we integrated those two pieces and you found that users engaged with
this content, then maybe we could extend it out to cover different areas.

Regards
Adrian.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Adrian Bartlett <ad...@gmail.com>.