Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by R Felipe <rf...@earthlink.net> on 2001/05/13 20:04:45 UTC

Turning off Directory Browsing

How do I turn off directory browsing in Apache and Tomcat?  I looked at the httpd.conf and the server.xml file and I couldn't find any reference to it.  Thanks.

-Ray

Re: Turning off Directory Browsing

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Sun, 13 May 2001, R Felipe wrote:

> How do I turn off directory browsing in Apache and Tomcat?  I looked
> at the httpd.conf and the server.xml file and I couldn't find any
> reference to it.  Thanks.

Do you mean showing the directory index (i.e. the listing/contents of
the directory)?  Look into the Directory tag, the Options and Indexes
keywords/attributes.  I found it documented quite nicely in the sample
tomcat/apache conf file that came with tomcat (or is shown on the
documentation pages).

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Software/Systems Development Group
Computing and Communications Services Office (CCSO)
mepstein@uiuc.edu